Special Chapter!

Moments of "Almost there" (part 1)

Ayato was crouching behind the bushes as a bunch of patrol guards pass. The watch lights scanned the castle grounds, penetrating the darkness behind the fences. It illuminated the clear water surface as it swiped past, just as a fish decided to leap into the air, its golden scales boasting its radiating beauty while small waves of water curled around it, the floating droplets like crystal gems. The fish then dove back into the dark waters, sending ripples across to smudge the full moon's reflection. The splashing noise cut the silence, and a few guards turned, shining their torches towards the pond's direction. They were met with nothing except ripples expanding over the smooth surface of the pond. They waited a few moments before proceeding their patrol.

Alluring lime green eyes followed their movements. Once the guards disappeared around the corner, Ayato averted his gaze towards the east. Without averting his attention from the eastern wing tower, Ayato placed a hand over his earpiece and lightly pressed the small button.

His eyes flashed. "Oi," he said through gritted teeth, his voice barely a whisper. "where the hell are you all?!"

"Teddy and I discovered this interesting chamber." Kanato's voice rang through loud and clear.

This caused Ayato to perk up. "Wow...good job pipsqueak. What's in it?"

"Will you stop calling me that?!" Kanato whisper-hissed. He then lowered his voice further. "Teddy and I found these beautiful statues. We think it might be of the warriors who died on war, judging by their stupidly horrified faces and weaponry impalements." A giggle reached Ayato's ear. "Teddy, look at this one! His tortured face is really something!"

Ayato looked baffled. "What the—we're not here for damn entertainment!"

A new voice intervened. "Fufu, you're actually saying something decent for once~"

Ayato turned his head and shot daggers at his brother crouching beside him. "Shut up, hentai."

Laito responded with a close-eyed smile before he brought his hand to his earpiece. Holding the small button, his smirking lips parted. "Is there anyone else here besides Kanato? Guinevere? Reiji?" His tone was hushed, but despite that it held a clear, serious edge.

"I must applaud you for acting responsible, Laito," Reiji said, his smooth voice entering their ears. "I am currently in the security room in the east wing. For highly advanced technology to rest within an old castle such as this, how unusual..."

Ayato was about to reply when his eyes widened in surprise. At the same time, Laito's expression began morphing into curiosity.

"Is someone fighting back there?" Ayato questioned, voicing both of their thoughts.

Laito sharpened his hearing, running his gaze up the eastern wing tower, over the dark-coloured stone bricks. His hand remained on the earpiece, holding the same, small button. "I hear shoutings as well. Though it couldn't be heard from here, it's still best to be cautious. Geez, I thought you would already know that, Reiji~"

"Hmph. Of course I do," Reiji replied, a hint of annoyance clipping his tone as his eyes scanned the controller buttons along with his gliding, gloved hand. "Rest assured, the noises won't be reaching anywhere beyond these castle walls, nor will it be continuing much longer...After all, Guinevere is the cause of it."

Laito's eyes popped wide open while Ayato simply stared blankly ahead for a moment, slowly digesting Reiji's words. After he did, the two brothers slowly exchanged off-guarded expressions.