XXVI. Courtesy

A/n: Do not own the picture. Credits goes to the rightful owner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 26

The pink walls were dulled by the night and outshined by the vibrant, red moon. Moonlight penetrating through the glass windows, making the carpet bleed.

Guinevere stood at the doorway, arms crossed as she stared at Subaru, whose fangs were buried in Yui's neck.

She massaged her temple. "I don't get enough credit for all this..." she tiredly muttered.

Guinevere then proceeded towards them. The dizzying scent of blood became even stronger, to the point where her nose tingled in pain. She blinked, and her glowing, fuchsia eyes returned to silver.

"Subaru, that's enough," she commanded. "Any more and you'll find yourself flying through the window before another drop of blood even touches your tongue."

Subaru stopped feeding to glare at her. Only upon seeing Guinevere's serious expression and Yui's sickeningly pale face did he release the trembling human. The glow in his eyes faded and guilt flashed through his red eyes.

Yui's upper body crashed onto the bed, her knees hitting the ground. Guinevere then noticed the silver dagger on the floor not far beside her.

"Oh? A silver dagger?" Guinevere picked it up, curiously examining it. She then smirked and glanced at Yui. "What are you planning to do with this?"

"I—" Yui began.

"You still kept it?" said Subaru. "What, have you become afraid of us?"

"No! But...but if I get my hands on the dagger...I don't know what I might do..." Yui squeezed her eyes shut.

"In that case, here," Guinevere offered. Amusement laced in her voice. "Feel free to stab this straight through my heart."

Yui gave her a horrified look. Even Subaru was caught off-guarded.

"It is normal for vampires, after all. A declaration of love," Guinevere said. "Or... would you do the honours in her stead, Subaru?"

A growl rumbled from Subaru's throat. "Don't joke like that." His fists were trembling.

Guinevere blinked. He disappeared.

"Oh dear," said Guinevere. "It looks like he mood is fouler than usual today."

She sighed and sat down. Yui felt the soft bed sink due to her weight.

Guinevere gazed at the moon outside. "You would think that mortal's love would be complicated. Vampire's love is even more so."

Yui stared at her.

"It's quite strange," Guinevere continued, "Vampires tend to have lonely lives, some with more unfortunate upbringings or experiences than others. Hence why killing a vampire can be a declaration of love, for it will put their eternal sufferings to an end. It can also break the unending bounds of boredom, for some."

Guinevere then tilted her head. Her fringe swayed gently as her eyes twinkled behind them. "Doesn't that make vampires less of a heartless being? After all, it shows that they no longer want their fellow or family to be in anguish. Yet, other species still perceive us beings in cold-blooded light."

A smile touched Guinevere's lips. "But it is common for vampires to be raised without love. They end up confusing love for hate—that is my second assumption. The triplets were in that situation when they killed their mother. Though, again, that's most likely why vampires are perceived as heartless beings, as it is simpler for one to jump to conclusions only from what's in front of their eyes. They become blinded from the past.