XXVIII. Heart Struck

Chapter 28

Cordelia looked up sharply, her grip slackening on his arm.

"You are useless to me in your less-than pristine condition," Richter told her. "As long as I awaken the vessel who has your heart and make her mine, I can become the next head without your assistance."

Cordelia pulled her hand back as if his arm suddenly caught on fire. With wide eyes filled with anger yet helplessness, the wicked woman took a step back.

Guinevere, meanwhile, sighed and began walking towards them.

"Oi, where are you going?" Ayato asked.

She didn't respond. Her eyes remained on Richter and the unusually ruffled Cordelia.

"Don't tell me," Cordelia was saying to Richter, her voice barely steady, "that you planned this the moment I entrusted you with my heart?"

Shuu narrowed his eyes as he watched the black-haired woman ascend the stairs. "She better not be doing anything stupid."

"Well, she does have a dagger after all," Subaru pointed.

The other just silently watched her. Cordelia and Richter were too emerged in their conversation to notice.

"Did you only realise that just now?" Richter coldly gazed at Cordelia. His tone was calm, containing a hint of ridicule.

Cordelia gritted her teeth.

"It is not you who is using me. It is I who is using you." He went to grab her when she was suddenly tugged back.

Cordelia cried out as she was spun and shoved towards the wall. She managed to grip the edge of the handrail, steadying herself as she waited for the world to settle itself.

She lifted her head, furious, and abruptly froze. "Nee-san..."

Guinevere glanced back at her, surprise dawning her features. Cordelia blinked at the misunderstanding and regained her composure, levelling her niece with a heavy look.

"Oh, what's this?" Richter had successfully reverted to his cold demeanour, sparing the slight curve of his mouth. "My niece wants to take her dear aunt's place?"

"When considering a mirror, children are like their parent's reflection. If the parent is corrupted, then the reflection will also be broken," said Guinevere serenely. She then tilted her head. "As for your answer, no. I do not want to take her place."

"Oh? To whom were you referring to just now?"

"That aunt of mine. You and your oh-so-lovely brother are also included, of course."

Richter made a face. "Please do not refer to him as such. It is nothing but nauseating."

"Then I would ask you to do the same in regards to my aunt."

"Well, isn't this the perfect example of a parent's reflection?" Cordelia scorned. "Insufferable and discourteous is what describe the both of you."

She then smirked. "That look of yours delights me!"

Her gaze flickered to the dagger. Confident that her niece won't lay a finger on the vessel, Cordelia haughtily lifted her chin.

A toxic giggle flushed from her hooked lips. "Would you like to know how that mother of yours died?"

Guinevere didn't respond, nor did her expression changed.

"Her carriage ended up quite poorly, I must say," Cordelia said. "However, instead of saving herself, she allowed irrationality due to Crista's recent death—" Cordelia brusquely slid her gaze towards Subaru, "—and even more appalling, because of a mere, inferior human. Therefore, technically, she herself welcomed death to her door."