XXIX. Compassion

Chapter 29

The lush, purple fabric rustled against the velvet sofa, the sound almost drowning the crackling fire and wind that faintly howled from the other side of the large window. The chandelier flickered as green eyes slowly opened.

"Only a foolish girl...would stab herself," said Cordelia, sneering despite her state. "What a joke."

Guinevere didn't think twice when she retracted her hand, though she remained impassive as the wound on the woman's chest began healing itself.

Cordelia mustered what seemed to be a laugh and sat up a little straighter. Her eyes narrowed, brimming with triumph. "Her death and awakening are only a matter of time. This body and soul will all belong to me."

With that, she fell back into unconsciousness. Guinevere relaxed, the desire to kick her across the room dissolving. She replaced her hand on top of Yui's gloved ones.

Shuu sighed. "She's a lot of trouble for bait."

"Will she disappear?" Kanato asked.

"I hope the bitch inside of her does," said Ayato. "She can stab herself a few more times for all I care."

He then held out the blood-stained dagger. "Subaru."

Jaws clenched, Subaru took the dagger without a word.

++++++++++++

Richter dragged himself against the stone wall, clothes torn and blood dripping from his chin. He applied pressure to the wound on his abdomen, every breath appearing painful.

"I cannot...perish yet..." Clinging onto those words, he staggered along the barely lit hallway. Behind him were blood trails, smeared on walls and stair handles or dotted on the floor.

A long, black gown fell into his vision, the elegant, white ruffles on the side bringing out the raw, splattered blood. Richter stumbled into the room just before his legs gave out. He gritted his teeth, though it wasn't from the pain in his knees.

"This...I just need this!" he exclaimed, reaching out.

"Wow..." A voice like honey reached his ears. However, at that moment, it sounded like the honey was poisoned.

Richter's hand hovered centimetres from gown's white rose.

"So this is where you've been hiding her dress," said Laito. "I had no idea whatsoever."

Richer turned. Laito tilted his head, and white teeth flashed, his canines suddenly prominent. His eyes had never seemed so cat-like.

+++++++++++

"She's growing paler," Kanato pointed, peering at Yui from behind the couch. His violet strands ticked his cheek, blocked a part of his sight, but it seemed to be the last thing on his mind.

Shuu knelt beside Guinevere and placed a hand on her slumped head. "Are you tired?"

From between her arms was Guinevere's muffled reply, "What you said is an understatement."

"She'll make it," said Ayato, standing on her other side. "This is Reiji we're talking about."

Yui's brows suddenly furrowed, and she began grunting as sweat trickled down her forehead. Guinevere's head snapped up.

"That looks really painful," said Kanato.

"Hey, wake up." Ayato nudged her arm.

Yui fiercely turned her head, the restlessness still evident.