XVII. The Principles of Generosity

Chapter 17

Guinevere casted her eyes downwards and was met with Subaru's clenched fist. She wasn't surprised, as he was rather tense in her arms, the heavy guilt rolling off him in waves. She repressed a sigh. The brothers were not making the situation any better. How supportive of them.

'But it's not like all of this was new'. She thought. 'They are quite selfish. After all, they are still in that...complicated age of theirs. In a way, they are still delicate newborns, lacking enough experience and growth to mature.

Well, humans are far better when it comes to these things. Their minds can be as complex as immortal or supposedly 'dominant' beings such as us, yet they require a far less amount of time to mature. To underestimate humans...those who think that are fools. Humans can be monsters, as well. A wolf in sheep's clothing, they can become...'

Realising that her thoughts were drifting off-track, Guinevere refocused on the problem at hand. The atmosphere had thickened, the tension increasing as impatience and restlessness began whirling like storms, closing in on her.

Guinevere simply ran her fingers comfortingly through Subaru's ignoring the increasing intensity shooting towards her direction. Subaru glanced up, eyes locking with hers.

'Are you trying provoke them?!' They seemed to be saying.

Guinevere gave him a close-eyed smile, before her luscious lips thinned into a straight line.

She gazed coolly at the rest of the brothers. "I believe I will only have to say this once. Leave Subaru alone, please. He's already feeling guilty enough as it is."

She then excused herself before they both disappeared without another word, leaving no room for replies.

++++++++++++++

"Get yourself cleaned up, okay?" Guinevere said softly. "I shall deal with the others. Have breakfast here while I go order a separate limousine for you, okay?"

Upon seeing his solemn expression, she ruffled his hair. "Do not worry, I will inform Reiji of this."

"Yeah..." Subaru mumbled, his gaze boring the blood around her shoulders and the red stains on her dress.

Guinevere sighed. "Subaru, I did this by choice. It is pointless to mull over it. Not get a proper shower and cool your grumpy head."

"My grumpy—wha—!" Subaru appeared startled as she began pushing him towards the bathroom.

"Make sure to dry yourself properly. This month will be quite cold." With a wave, Guinevere vanished.

...

A knock on the door disrupted Reiji's thoughts for a moment. He placed the glass tube on the racks. It clinked softly before he retracted his hand, moving to flip a page among the scattered books on his wide desk.

"Come in," he said, his eyes buried within the written calculations, his brain attempting to solve their complexity.

Guinevere entered the room, brushing a curtain of dark hair over her shoulder. Silver eyes landed on the books and various liquids that filled glass tubes. "Have I arrived at the wrong time?"

Reiji was writing when he spoke. "That is of little importance, for I will be busy for the whole night." He then placed his pen down and turned towards her. "So? What is it that you need?"

Guinevere blinked. "You...are less troublesome that I thought."

"Hm. Did you assume that I was going to give you an earful about your behaviour a while ago?" If it weren't for his narrowed eyes and disapproving tone, one could say otherwise.