XVI. A Cold, Long Night

Chapter 16

Laito was closing his eyes, a rare, blissful expression on his face as the woman in beside him glided her finger across the piano keys like water flowing down a stream. Closing the distance, he tilted his head towards her, his auburn strands ticking his cheek. He peeked through one eye following her slender fingers as they fluidly roamed the keys.

"Guinevere, play Martyr for me," he said, his gaze settling on the woman beside him.

This brought a smile, as Guinevere's eyes remained closed. "You still remember?"

"Fufu, of course~" Laito replied over the melody she played, his tone gentle. "After all, it was the first piece you taught me."

Guinevere repositioned her fingers, and a different tune began to envelop the room.

She started from the lower keys, then reaching gracefully towards the higher keys and working her way effortlessly down, jumping from chord to chord. This produced a more sombre, haunting melody than the piece before, with tints mystery that appeared enchantingly elegant. It was mostly a steady song, with her left hand running up and down the lower keys, leaving her right hand to dance between the middle and higher ones. Fingers flowed back and forth between black and white keys, kissing them with fingertips to create rapid, feathery sounds before applying pressure to allow loud, bold sounds to linger in the air.

Arching his head back, Laito smiled, melting into the familiar melody that danced in his ears before opening his eyes, staring into the ceiling which finely bathed under the large streaks of moonlight. His attention was drawn towards her upon hearing her idyllic voice.

"Satisfied, I see," said Guinevere.

His inched closer, shifting more of his weight towards the arm that gripped the piano seat behind her. "Oh, very~"

"That's good, then."

Laito's gaze remained on her, absorbing her flawless features. Amused, he leaned in. His eyes flashed as his line of vision directed towards the soft skin on her neck. He bared his fangs.

Guinevere's eyes slightly opened, shifting towards the direction where those dangerous fangs glinted. Upon seeing them, Guinevere parted her mouth when—

The door creaked open, revealing a certain platinum blonde human. Her eyes widened upon seeing them in such intimate proximity to each other. The haunting melody stopped entering her ears, and surprise turned into fear when angered eyes almost glowed as they shot daggers her way.

"Bitch-chan, you've got some nerve." Laito's tone was as menacing as the look he gave her. He slowly straightened, parting from the silver-eyed woman.

"Laito," Guinevere gently warned. She reached a hand out and gripped his fedora's brim, pulling it down to cover his eyes. "Behave now."

Laito fixed his hat, feeling a pang of annoyance flood through him at her nonchalance. But he remained silent.

Guinevere, upon seeing the fury gradually cooling in his eyes, decided to return her attention towards the intruder.

"Good evening, Yui-chan. I assume you have a good reason to see us," she said, "since this one here requires some time to cool down once he is irritated to this extent." She gestured at the younger vampire in front of her by patting his cheek.

He smirked in response, his eyes narrowing a tad. He turned when Yui's hands tightened in front of her chest, clamping over each other as the balled hand underneath trembled slightly.