XXV. Cruel

A/n: Drrrrramatic music~

Chapter 25

"Oi, what's the meaning of this?!"

Cordelia and Richter turned.

"Oh, it's you, Ayato," Cordelia indifferently said. She then smirked, eyes flashing with mockery. "It's been a long time."

Ayato glared. "What have you done?"

Cordelia feigned a disappointed tone. "It doesn't appear that you're here to say how pleased you are to see me again. But as for why I'm here..."

She looked at the man beside her. "Richter, could you please explain the rest to him? It seems I'm not used to this body yet."

Ayato's attention shifted to his uncle, expression remaining dark.

"She's not even meant to be conscious, yet she's trying to eject me." Cordelia began walking past him. "I suppose this body isn't fully mine, yet."

When their shoulders were side by side, she gave him a look full of mockery before a, pure, conceited giggle escaped her lips. Repulsed, Ayato simply fixing his loathing eyes at Richter as he silently demanded an explanation.

Rain began to pour, the gloomy sky, making thin droplets appear like black streaks. A purple-haired woman laid in the back garden, incredibly still. Blood painted her torn black gown, as red as the roses surrounding her. Her hands also stained a dark red, and a line of blood dripped from the corner of her luscious lips. Her glassy eyes stared at grey clouds.

"Oh, Cordelia!" Richter's shocked voice rang through the unpleasant night. He knelt on the rose bed beside her. "What happened? Who did this to you?"

"Richter..." The woman surprisingly had an ounce of life left. "...I have a request."

Richter held her in his arms. "Anything you want."

"My body is done for..." Cordelia wheezed. "Please take out...my heart—"

Richter's eyes widened.

"—and place it in another body..."

Finishing her statement, Cordelia's vision blurred.

"When the time is right..." she said with a deceivable, gentle smile. "...We will meet again."

Then, for the first time, Richter saw fear flashing through her eyes.

Cordelia tightened her grip on Richter's hand. "Hurry! You must hurry! He's...he's coming to incinerate me!"

Richter's expression was unreadable. Death had snatched the woman in his arms. After closing her eyes, he stood up and unsheathed his sword. Without another word, he swiftly cut open her chest and took out her heart. With his other hand, he grabbed a fragment of her bloodied dress.

"I swear," he pledged. "I will resurrect you."

Lightning flashed, illuminating his pale, solemn face. He stared at her one last time before he walked away.

"So, the heart you removed is inside her?" Ayato asked after he finished.

"The girl is merely her vessel," Richter answered. "She still exists, but only just."

He then turned towards Ayato, a slight smirk adorning his face. "However, the girl's soul will soon be obliterated for eternity, leaving only Cordelia."