Chapter 15

The next day Clayton was upright, while Nick was still in his hospital's bed. Ellie hardly slept that night, although Nick was okay and the team stayed here with her. 'Ellie, you should go home' Tim suggested, sitting next to her. 'I know' 'He's fine, and he's not alone' 'It's just that, this-this whole case... overwhelmed me' 'Yeah, but we closed it. We caught the bad guy, and for a while we won't deal with NSA'. 'Two positive things' she stated. 'Uhm, Ellie'. Jake was in front of her, a bruise was still on his face. She turned towards him, recognizing his voice. 'It's a nightmare' 'Ellie, I...' 'What the hell are you doing here?' she asked, with a low voice, but only because they were in an hospital. 'I've known about Powell and your friends, I wanted to know how they are' 'They're good, and your friend is going to prison' 'Ellie, I had no idea...' 'That he is a criminal? That he killed a man because of his own business?' 'Yes, all these things' 'C'mon, Jake, he had dinner with us! The two of you are friends! Your friend tried to kill me yesterday'. 'What?!' 'Yes, but I was so angry about Clayton and Nick that I handled him. Now, get out. I don't want to see you anymore'. But Jake was still there. So, McGee stood up. 'Ok, Ellie. I handle it' 'No, McGee. He's not a problem of yours' 'It is, because is related with you. Jake, get out. Now'. Close to Bishop, McGee was really tall. Jake noticed it and did a step back. 'You heard him'. And Jake went away.
'Hey, are you okay?' 'Yes, it's just, I'm tired. Of all of this. Thanks, by the way.' 'You're welcome'. 'Hey, was that your ex-husband?' Jack asked, going towards them. 'Yeah, it was' Bishop answered. 'How are you?' 'Good' 'Have you slept?' 'A few hours, the chair was... comfortable, after a while'. Jack shook her head. 'Ellie, you need to sleep in a bed'. Bishop suddenly lowered her head. 'Ellie, what's wrong?' Jack asked, worried if she said something wrong. 'Ellie'. Tim was worried too. 'I-I was thinking that... two days ago, I was at Nick's house, and he let me sleep in his bed. And I told him that I would let him sleep in mine, but... the next day he was shot and he didn't come in my apartment anymore'. 'Oh, Ellie, you have time' Sloane said. 'Yes, Ellie'. 'When we were coming here, my only thought was: he will never come to my apartment. That's so stupid'. 'It isn't, Ellie' Tim stated. 'Have he already seen it? The apartment' 'Oh, yes, Jack. Our first kiss was here' 'Hey, Ellie, make me a promise' Tim said. Her head was still leaned on his shoulder. 'Yes' 'Promise me that you will take Torres to your apartment, and that you will not afraid of what could happen between the two of you. Promise me that your past will not prevent you from a great love story. Promise me you will make him break your walls. Please'. She didn't immediately answer. Jack looked at her, rubbing her shoulder. 'Hey, honey' 'You're asking for a lot, McGee. You know me. You know how I am' 'And this is the reason why I'm asking for it. I know, Ellie, that it isn't easy for you. But it worth it. 'Yeah, he worth it' 'Do you wanna see him?' Sloane asked. 'Yes. Tim, can you take me there?' 'Of course'. They stood up together, and Tim put his arm behind her, rubbing her shoulder.
'Hey, guys' Nick said. 'Well, I leave the two of you alone'. Ellie slowly got close to Nick. 'Hi, baby' he said, kissing her. 'Hi'. 'Hey, what's up?'. He moved her hair from the forehead. 'Jake was here' 'What did he want?' 'To know how you and Reeves are. Incredible' 'Did he do anything?' 'No, don't worry'. 'Ok'. He held her hand. 'Hey, you have to make me a promise' 'You are the second person asking me for a promise'. He quietly smiled, not asking who the other was but being curious, though. 'The doctors want to make me stay here for another night' 'Ok, if they think this is the right thing, you'll do it'. 'Okay. But you will not stay here' 'What?' 'You need to have rest' 'There is a chair' 'And you won't sleep on that' 'Nick, but... I don't wanna leave you alone' 'I know, baby. But you need a bed' 'My house is so empty, Nick' 'Go to McGee, go to Sloane, go to Reeves. But he can't take off his shirt' 'Idiot' she said, touching his hair. 'Ellie, please. Someone else will stay here'. 'Ok' she said, after a few seconds. 'Don't worry for me' 'Easy to say'. He held her hands, kissing them. 'You're my angel, Ellie'. She tried to hide her smile. 'Don't be so dramatic. You're the funny one of the couple'. 'Oh, ok. And you're the serious one, I suppose' 'Exactly'. A tear streamed down her cheeck. 'Hey' he said. He was still holding her hands. 'It's nothing, Nick. I'm happy to have you in my life' 'Me too'.

That evening, Ellie went to Sloane's home, and she finally put her back on a bed. 'Everything's alright, El?' Jack asked, before going to sleep on the couch. 'Yes, thanks' 'You seem comfortable' she stated. 'Yes, this bed is... amazing' 'Good. See you next morning' 'Good night, Jack' 'Good night, Ellie'.