Chapter 17

Nick had leaned his arm behind her, smiling at his girlfriend while she was opening the door. 'Are you okay?' 'Yes, Ellie. I am. Like in the car, or at the hospital'. She got she had questioned him several times. 'Sorry, it's just, I'm worried. My rational brain isn't working'. He started playing with her soft hair. 'Your brain always works. Your concern is caused by your feelings. It's normal'. She nodded, and they both crossed the threshold. He dropped his bag, while the other hand was still through Ellie's hair. 'Are you hungry? I can cook something' she suggested. 'No, baby. We can order the food'. 'But I'd like to cook dinner for you' she said, with a smart smile. 'Well, I like the idea. - he said, started rubbing her shoulders - But after dinner, I'll do something for you'. 'What?' 'I... will do... a massage. Your muscles need it'. She raised her head up, gasping. 'Nick...'. 'Yes, you like it'. He kept going on, touching her shoulders with his fingers. He could feel all her anxiety, her concern, her problems. She felt at home, she felt safe, she felt loved. 'I... I have to go, Nick. Or we won't have dinner' 'Just other few seconds'. She didn't say anything, but after a while she moved back. 'Dinner, Nick'.  'Ok, do you wanna my help?' 'No. You can sit on the couch, I'll cook a wonderful dinner for you'. She placed a kiss on his lips, he smiled, and she went to the kitchen.
After a while he smelled something good, and he got the dinner was ready. 'Nick!' 'Yeah, baby. My stomach is waiting'. He went to the kitchen, and his eyes became wide when he saw the dinner. It was inspiring him. 'I've already loved it'. 'You need to taste it, before'. 'Nah, I don't need to. But I want to'. He moved a chair to make her sit and promptly sat in front of her. She smiled, not used to cook for someone or to be cuddled like she was by Nick. They started eating.
'So, when will you come back to work?' 'Two weeks, maybe three. It depends' 'I'll miss you at the Navy Yard' 'Yeah, well, you can come visit me'. 'Of course' she said, laughing and kindly shaking her head. 'It's for my psychological recover, ya know'. Now she was laughing out loud, a grin was on her face. 'Wow, you're... you're stunning. Really. I'm impressed' 'Don't go too far' 'I'm not' 'Sure' 'And... you're an excellent chef too'. 'Do you appreciate the dinner?' 'Yes, it's delicious. We should have dinner together in the next days too' 'It's an option'. He smiled, satisfied with the result of his suggestion.
After the dinner, they moved on the couch. He switched on the TV and leaned his left arm behind her, while she was snuggling up on him. He kissed her on her head, choosing the tv show to watch. But she was tired and barely took her eyes opened. He noticed it. 'Are you tired, baby?' 'A little'. 'Lean your head, close your eyes for a while'. 'Ok' she whispered. After a few minutes, she felt asleep. He noticed it and kindly smiled. He watched the tv, then he picked her up and took her to the bedroom. He leaned her on the bed, trying to not wake her up, but she opened her eyes. 'Hey, come back to sleep'. She seemed disoriented. 'Baby, sorry. I woke you up'. He caressed her hair. 'No, it's okay'. He was going to go towards the couch, but she called him. 'Nick'. He turned around. 'What?' 'Stay'. She glanced at him, touching the bed side next to her. He had no choice.