Chapter 21

When Ellie opened her eyes, hearing the alarm, Nick's arm was under her. She noticed it, smiling. He was still sleeping, and she looked at him, while her head was leaned onto his chest. After a few seconds, he woke up too. 'Hey, baby'. 'Hiii, sleepyhead'. 'When have you woken up?' 'A few seconds ago'. 'Have you slept well?' he asked. 'Yes, and you?' 'Yes, even if you didn't make me sleep so much' 'My fault' she said. Her hand was joking on his chest, and he pulled her closer to him. 'Ready for a new day of work?' he asked. 'Yes, but I'd rather stay here with you'. 'Yeah, but tonight I'll be here. And when you'll come back, I'll help you to take your coat off, and you will eat another delicious dinner by Nick Torres' 'I love this plan'. 'Ok. You can stay here. I'll prepare the breakfast' 'It isn't necessary, Nick' 'No, it is. A few minutes, and the breakfast will be ready'.

Ellie went to work after a wonderful breakfast, and it was the first topic she talked about with Tim. 'It had to be delicious' he stated, after a long description. 'It was. And I didn't say all about it'. 'Oh, you didn't?' Tim asked, getting himself ready for the second part of the description. 'You'll do it later, Bishop. - Gibbs said, entering the bullpen - Grab your gear. Dead Marine'. 'Thanks God!' Tim said. But Gibbs quickly glanced him. 'Sorry, boss'.

Returned from the crime scene, Bishop, McGee and Gibbs were in front of the plasma. 'Chief Petty Officer Sarah Hall, 46. Married, two children, Troy and Dustin' Ellie said, watching the family photo of the victim. 'They're young' Tim stated. 'Yes, they are' she added. 'It's the hardest part. Talk with the family. I can't even think of the pain of those kids'. 'Ok. I'll talk with the husband' 'Are you sure Gibbs?' Bishop asked. 'Yes, I'll take Sloane with me. The two of you can keep digging in Hall's life'. They both nodded.
As Gibbs went to Sloane, Ellie quickly glanced at McGee. 'Are you okay, Tim?' 'Yes, it's just...the kids.' 'I know' 'Thanks for asking, Ellie. You're a friend'. She smiled. 'Well, let's find the killer'. He nodded, going to his own desk.

After a few hours, there wasn't any progress yet. 'Do you have anything?' he asked. 'No. And you?' 'Nothing relevant'. 'So?' Gibbs asked. 'I checked her bank account, her last movements, her debt cards. Nothing weird' McGee answered. 'Yes, and I've talked with her co-workers. All of them said the same things. Excellent worker. Nice and polite' Ellie added. 'Have you talked with the husband, boss?' 'Yes. He seemed normal too. Sloane's agree with me'. 'I don't know, boss. If we don't have a motive, how can we go on with the case?' 'We'll find a way, McGee. She deserves it'.

After she crossed her home's threshold, Ellie sighed. 'Hay, baby' Nick said, seeing her. She didn't say anything, starting to take her coat off. 'Wait, wait'. He got her, kindly taking it off. 'Thanks'. 'Hey, you seem very tired' 'I am'. 'Long day?' 'Yes. There's a new case. We aren't able to find a motive'. 'You'll solve it. I'm sure about that'. 'Yes, well, I'm not' 'But I am. Trust me'. He held her hands, placing a kiss on her lips. 'Hug me' she said, leaning herself on him. 'Sure' he said, surrounding her with his arms. They stayed there for a while, and she finally found some peace. 'You know, I have something for you' she said, still close to him. 'Oh, really?' 'Yes. It's in my bedroom' 'Uh. But you're tired, baby. You should rest' 'I am, Nick. This is not what you're thinking about' 'Uh' he said, a little confused. 'Let's go' she suggested.
'So, what is it?' he asked, stretching his arms out. 'It's something important, Nick. It isn't easy for me. But I wanna do it'. 'Ok'. She moved towards the tall boy, opening a drawer. It was empty. He was close to her, while she waiting for a reaction. 'Is it...?' 'It's for you'.