11: Sadistic Monster

A/N Lenix's beast mentioned in this chapter

A/N Lenix's beast mentioned in this chapter.  Free to Use Lines by https://trash-klng.deviantart.com on @DeviantArt

The sun in my face woke me and I rolled away squinting. I reached to pet Unai and panicked when he wasn't there. My breathing got erratic and I was looking all around.  A strong arm around my waist reminded me Lenix is here and I calmed down. 

He looked at me through half opened eyes, his accent particularly heavy. "What?" 

I looked back at him nearly in tears. "Unai isn't here." 

"Soul, Imogen." With that, he pulled me over resting his head on my thigh and closed his eyes again.

I checked my soul and sure enough, Unai was there. I chided myself for forgetting I had finally un-summoned him.

Lenix seemed to make the most mistakes speaking my language when he's sleepy. So I try to get him to talk more first thing in the morning. He would usually try to say as little as possible until he was fully alert.  

"What beast will you use to enter the academy? Do you even have any beasts here with you?"

"One guarding," he stated simply.

"Guarding? Why do we need to be guarded?" 

I hadn't really thought that we could be in any danger here. I have felt completely safe with Unai and Lenix around.

He sighed heavily and rolled over in an overly exaggerated manner. He stretched and sat up sighing again, taking his time to come fully awake before responding to me. It seems Lenix isn't much of a morning person. But his lazy attitude and bed hair is really cute.

"mornin' then, Imogen." He finally responded, blinking the sleep out of his eyes while he gathered his thoughts. "That place I took you from has been sending people. Probably to teach me a lesson for stealing from them."

"Why haven't I seen your beast then or heard any fighting?" 

The thought of them still coming after us terrifies me. I stop myself from summoning Unai to ease my worry and sit next to Lenix for comfort instead.

"I blocked the sounds. It has been pretty gruesome, with lots of screaming. You haven't seen the beast due to Unai threatening it to stay away from you and I don't allow it inside the estate anyway."  

"Unai threatened it? But why would he do that?"

"For good reason. This type of beast is known for being violent. They are sadistic bastards by instinct and can only eat living meat, so other beasts are understandably horrified by them. Mine is particularly monstrous."

"It has been eating them alive?" 

"I let it have a few as a warning. The beast has killed assassins sent from the pleasure house and some from the household that sold Alex." Lenix brought some new clothes out of his storage ring. "It's not just eating them alive. It eats them until they almost die, heals them and eats some more. This one particularly enjoys doing that repeatedly...for fun. I think they are done sending anyone here."