23: Homecoming

~~~Warning mature content toward the end of the chapter.

The little spy was able to successfully enter the estate and leave with plenty of information. 

As soon as the group of slave traders learned that only two teenagers were watching the whole place, they had a quick meeting with their Buela family contact. It was decided that now would be a good time to strike back at the mysterious group of youths.

All of the beasts Lenix left at the estate had kept a low profile so as not to frighten the refugees and to make the home seem vulnerable. As far as the spy noticed, there was only the one summoned beast that had always been there. He asked around and determined that the two remaining at the estate were not summoners nor did they seem to be mages.

This town's underworld leaders gathered their usual gang of thugs, mages and summoners with the intention of overpowering and capturing everyone at the cottage estate. It wasn't long before they moved to attack. 

They felt confident in their plans to subdue this one beast. If they had known about the other beasts hiding nearby, they would have waited. 

Lenix had carefully set this trap in the hope of luring them in.

Now that his idea had succeeded, Lenix wanted to hurry back and catch their enemies before they could hide again. He had Imogen and Fran ride on Unai's back so they could go even faster.

"Lenix, what's wrong? Why the rush?" Imogen asked.

"The cottage is being attacked." Lenix said simply with a dangerous looking smile on his face giving him a villainous appearance.

 ~~~

When Lenix arrived, the underworld gang got caught between his group and the estate. Lenix released many small beasts to roam and search the area for traps as he cautiously assessed the threat in front of them. 

He moved in front of Imogen and Unai guarded behind. As Lenix and Unai strategized how to attack while keeping Imogen safe they felt the wind picking up and gathering in Imogen's direction.

When Lenix turned he saw something that shocked him. That ruthless expression was very familiar but he had never seen it on the face of his adorable little lover. 

Lenix stayed near Imogen ready to help him if needed. He could see Imogen was ready to take revenge for himself. Lenix wouldn't interfere unless Imogen wanted or needed it.

Lenix had beasts all around ready to alert him of any trouble so Lenix could focus completely on Imogen. He never once took his gaze off him. 

Lenix's eyes subtly darkened and his face started to grow flushed, his breathing a bit rough.

~~~Imogen

These people imprisoned and used him in his last life. He still had nightmares sometimes from the events of those eight months as a slave. Countless nights he had woke up trembling with fear, soaked in sweat and tears, terrified he would be taken back to that place.

Now they had really come back for him. They threatened the people Imogen cared about and his home, yet he wasn't afraid at all. He was furious. 

The wind responded to his fury.

This was completely different than when he practiced on the trip. Imogen was entirely focused on his goal. He felt like the wind was part of him, as easy to use as lifting his own arm.   

His anger fuelled the wind and the wind fuelled his anger. Wild, sweeping, swirling rage flowed out from his heart and gathered around him. The tempest grew without restraint, unyielding, ready to blow away everything he hated.