27: First Step to Rebellion

~~~Lenix

There were only two people left alive after Imogen's brutal cleanup. 

Lenix had them held in a secluded warehouse outside of the slums. Although alive they were both in bad shape.   

In an open space with both present Lenix healed one of the survivors. The two were separated by enough distance to prevent the conversation from being heard. Lenix appeared friendly to the one he healed. The other survivor could only feel betrayed, thinking his partner had sold him out or had been a spy the whole time.

That one was left injured and bound. His arms at uncomfortable angles making him sore and putting pressure on his lungs, leaving his breathing shallow. Then Lenix just left. Let him mentally torture himself wondering what will happen. The physical pain and discomfort would keep him from resting. Soon he will be ready to break. 

The other guy was left in an empty, locked room. Nothing was told to him or asked of him. Lenix left him to also wonder what will happen next. Using magic, Lenix had a random loop play the sounds of screaming and brutal torture to keep him from sleeping.

Lenix then returned to the cottage.

~~~Imogen

Imogen had been contemplating the days before his murder and he kept coming to the same conclusion no matter which angle he thought from. He'd been sitting in the courtyard with Unai enjoying the evening sun. 

"Unai, I wonder if I was actually the target of my murder?" He spoke in a lazy tone but was actually serious about his idea.

Unai cocks his head and stares at Imogen for a moment.[...what does that mean?] Unai felt Imogen was a reasonably smart person but this sentence seemed to be nonsense.

"Wasn't it all to discredit Senry and get rid of him. Killing me was probably just convenient."

Unai lifts his head, ears perked, relieved his master didn't suddenly get stupid. [Oh, I see what you mean. hmmm, I think  it is possible.]

The more Imogen thought about what happened in his last life the more he felt like a rather minor player in the story. He wasn't aware of an awful lot going on around him. 

The Beulas were up to a lot of shady business. Senry may have been working to expose them. His close friends seemed to have difficulties he was unaware of. His wife didn't care for him at all. Only Unai was exactly as he seemed.

He went looking for Lenix to discuss these thoughts with. The ideas felt jumbled and unclear to him, maybe talking it through with Lenix would help.

Lenix had barely entered the courtyard when Imogen rushed up to him and started off with his main point. 

"I think Senry was the true target of my death." 

Lenix raised an eyebrow. "How did you come to that conclusion?"

"By framing him they destroyed his credibility. This was more important than just killing him. Me, I was only worth killing."

"Why was it so important to discredit him though?"

"hmmm, I seem to recall an increase in anti-Beula sentiment. I heard rumors of rebellion." 

Imogen paused while he tried to organize his thoughts before continuing.

"Senry's suggestions always benefited many and resulted in a favorable opinion of me among the populace. My wife and her advisers often made suggestions against Senry's recommendations, always saying the cost outweighed any benefits or potential profits. Now I know the Beulas are corrupt and selfish, involved in human trafficking."