SEVEN

PART SEVEN

Ξ GU,OD Ξ

He blinked a few times, not knowing what to do or say. "Why, Oscar?" I repeated. He sighed. "I had to."

"No you didn't. You just wanted to prove to your cholo's that you're still this big bad man, right?!" I whisper-yelled, feeling my heart ache. He rubbed his face. "Answer me, Oscar!" I snapped.

"Maldita sea! (damnit), I'm sorry Sin! I wasn't thinking straight. I-I just.. I can't think correctly when I'm around you.." He admittedly spoke. I scoffed. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

He sighed frustratedly and stepped towards me. He placed his hands on both sides of my face. "Why did you do it? Do you know how hard it is for me to see my father in pain?! To see someone I deeply care for, sad? Do you?!" I spat while a lone tear crawled down my cheek. He wiped it away with his thumb. "Yes, I do. Everyday. Every, fucking, day. Everyday one of my homie's dies. If you kept challenging me.. they would've seen that I'm not a true leader because I don't know what I would've done. I had to do it, Sindya. I can't and won't let you make me lose the only thing in my life that keeps me somewhat steady." He hissed. I could see the pain and desperation in his eyes.

"What if.. what if you find something, someone else to keep you steady?" I asked carefully. I didn't know that he chose to be a cholo because of his need of appreciation. He wanted to be appreciated and loved. He wanted to be happy. Just that.

"Someone like who?" He whispered, staring into my eyes. His dark and dull eyes lit up a little bit. His eyes drew me in. Like a magnetic force of some sort. I felt naked, though.. I wasn't. His eyes bored into my soul. Our eye contact was so intense, I thought for a minute that he could read my mind. His gaze shifted between my eyes and lips. He slowly leaned in. We were so engrossed in each other that we didn't hear the bathroom door open. A gasp was heard, followed by a scream.

We quickly pulled back and looked at the source of the yell. Jamal stared at us in horror. Oscar murmured something and stormed out of the bathroom. Probably out of the house. "Jamal, don't say a word about this to anyone." I demanded. He frantically shook his head. "You know I can't keep secrets for shit!" He shrieked.

"Come on, Monse! Talk to me." I pleaded. She folded her arms across her chest. "Please?" I pleaded hopelessly. She scoffed. "I want you to stop speaking to Oscar." She demanded. I raised an eyebrow up out of surprise. "What?" I shrieked. "You heard me. This happened because you opened your mouth and disrespected him! So stop speaking with him and I'll forgive you."

"Listen.. I get that you're mad but don't you forget that I'm still your big sister. Treat me with respect." She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Monse? Did you hear me?" She kept quiet and refused to look at me.

I gave up and left her room. I can't believe she, a 14 year old, just forbade me to see someone. I mean.. I still don't like Oscar but me cutting him off completely is a little too much.

"Hey, dad. How are you holding up?" I asked as I leaned against the doorframe. "I'm feeling better. How is Monse?" I rolled my eyes. "She's still mad. I don't even know why! I've apologized like a thousand times." I shrieked in utter frustration. He chuckled. "She's just overprotective. Just like you."

I haven't spoken to Oscar since that day in the bathroom which is now two days ago. Normally, we would meet each other by chance and tease or insult each other but Monse's words replayed in my mind like a broken record. I wouldn't say that I missed him but I missed annoying and roasting somebody.

The bell rang. I made my way to the door and looked through the hole. Nobody was outside. I opened the door ajar. "Hello, Sindie!" A child like voice cooed. I lowered my gaze and saw Rico looking up at me. "Hey little man, how are you?" I asked while letting him in. He ran into the living room and flopped onto the couch.

"My abuelito is finally getting better! And he wants to meet you and Ossie!" He excitedly stated. "Oh, really? When?" "In an hour." He smiled. I gulped. "So soon already? I don't know if Oscar can-" He cut me off. "I already asked him. He's coming." Just as he ended his sentence, my phone vibrated.

(321) 124-5427: I'm picking you two up in 45 minutes. You better be ready by then.

Sindya: Who is this!?

(321) 124-5427: It's Spooky, tonta. (fool)

Sindya: Who says I'm gonna be able to make it?🙄

Spooky: You wanna disappoint Rico?

I looked up from my phone and watched the little boy. He stared at the flowers in my backyard in awe. That kid always had a thing for the nature. A smile automatically crept up onto my face. How could I disappoint him?

Sindya: Fine. Pick me up in an hour. It takes time to look this good. Bet you can't relate.

Spooky: Ha. I see you got jokes right now. Just wait till you see me.

Sindya: Good luck, shrimpy.

Spooky: Don't start something you can't finish, mamacita.

Sindya: Good bye.

"And, what did he say?" Rico asked. "He'll be picking us up in an hour so the house is all yours. I'm going to get dressed."

"Rico! Should I wear the red outfit or the black one?" He looked at the two outfits that I held in my hands in confusion. "Why do women always stress about their outfits so much? Unless.." he shot me a mischievous grin. "Unless you like Ossie?" He asked while wiggling his eyebrows. "Ugh, are you kidding me? Me liking that?" He laughed and shook his head. "I'll be in the living watching Paw Patrol while you sit here and sulk over what outfit you should wear." He stated as he walked towards the door. "Oh and, wear the red one. It makes your eyes pop. Oscar will drool over you." He spoke while popping the 'p'.

I laughed and playfully pushed him. Though he was only six years old, he conversed and behaved older than he actually was. In the beginning, he was shy and reluctant but after a while he started getting comfortable with both me and Oscar. After this little while, I've grown to love this little boy. He was very smart for his age and when he saw you do something bad, he wasn't afraid to correct you.

The bell rang. "Rico, go ahead and wait in the car for me! I bet that's Oscar!" I shouted. He yelled an 'okay' back and exited the house. I felt the palms of my hands begin to sweat. It seemed like my usual confidence was nowhere near me now that I was going to meet him. I wiped my hands and made my way outside.

The familiar red convertible stood in the driveway. I walked towards it and sat in the passengers seat. "Hi." I awkwardly greeted. He stared at me for a few seconds before bursting out into laughter. A scowl etched itself onto my face. "What's so funny?!"

"You getting nervous around me, huh?" He teased. I rolled my eyes. "Shut up and drive."