EIGHT

PART EIGHT

'His backbone is wearing out, he can feel the sirens beneath his flesh

'His backbone is wearing out, he can feel the sirens beneath his flesh. He's burning from the inside out and only I am the one who can help him." — Reyna Biddy (edited poem)

Ξ GU,OD Ξ

"You nervous?" He asked as he quickly looked over at me and then back to the road. "N-No, why would I be?" "You never stutter so you most def nervous." He teased. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to Rico. "How old is your abuelito?" "70 something.. I always forget the last number." Oscar slowly pulled up and brought the car to a halt. Rico hopped out of the vehicle and ran to his porch. Oscar and I followed.

"Rico!" An elderly man excitedly called. He looked like the typical Mexican grandpa. His mustache and the hair that was left on his head were almost a white color. The color of his hair matched greatly with his tanned complexion. He looked up and locked his light brown eyes with my dark ones. "Is this the girl you've been talking about? She's beautiful!" A red tint formed on my cheeks. I shyly smiled. "Thank you. My name is Sindya." I said as I shook his hand.

"I know and you must be Oscar." He nodded. After I noticed that he wasn't going to make an effort and shake the mans hand, I elbowed him in the stomach. He grunted. "Greet. the. man." I whispered through gritted teeth. He shot me a deadly glare before he listened and did as I said.

"Come in!" As soon as we entered the house, the smell of air refresher danced in my nose. It was a pretty small but cosy house.

We sat at the dinner table. Rico's abuelito, who's name I learned was Jose, sat the cup of tea in front of my nose. "Gracias." I smiled. "De nada. (you're welcome)"

"So, Rico told me that you two were a couple. I remember when I fell in love with mi amante (my lover). She was so beautiful and so spontaneous. I-" "Yeah sorry to interrupt you, hombrecito, but we're not a couple." Oscar stated.

"Oh, really? I thought so because of how you looked at her when I was talking about love." Oscar frowned. Jose shifted his attention to me. "And how you stare at him with longing in your eyes." "No, I don't!" "I bet you do." Oscar butted in. "Shut up! You just mad because-" "Because what?" "If you would just let me finish, tonto, I could've-"

"Young love!" Jose shouted making us both look at him. "You two love each other but you just don't see it yet." "I'll be damned if I fall in love with that." I stated as I gave Oscar a look of disgust. "Keep telling yourself that, chiquita." He grinned.

"Okay! Let's play a game since you two have this fake hatred towards each other. Oscar, try to complement Sindya. Sindya, try to complement Oscar." He frowned and opened his mouth to say no just as Rico ran to the table hearing us play a game. "Please, Ossie?" The black haired boy asked as he intentionally pouted. He sighed. "Fine." He took a sip of his tea. In my mind I would be laughing my ass off because.. who sees a gang member ever drink tea? I shook the thought out of my head and focused on what the cholo had to say.

"I like the way how... how, how your afro makes you a little less ugly." Rico snorted. Oscar quickly joined in. The little boy covered his mouth, trying to stop himself. "HoW hOw." I mimicked. I rolled my eyes and shot Oscar a fake smile full of attitude. "Well, thanks Dooky. I love how your mouth speaks so loud words but in your mind.. it's really quiet down there."

He clenched his jaw and gave me a deadly glare. I folded my arms across my chest and watched him amusingly. "You mad?" I teased. "Coño (motherfucker)" He spat.

"What's the matter with you two? You clearly like each other but this hatred is really going too far." Jose explained. I shrugged. "It's for the better." "I agree." Oscar chimed.

"Thanks for having us, señor, but we have to leave." I politely said. He nodded understandably. "It was a pleasure to finally meet the people Rico has been talking about for ages. Be safe." Oscar and I walked out of their house and immediately went our separate ways. I guess he was heated about what I said but hey.. you've got to speak facts.

I rubbed my hands against my arms, trying to warm myself up. I can't believe Rico was actually right. Maybe I was dressing up for Oscar without me even noticing it. I felt a presence behind me. Following me. I twisted my neck to look back and saw a green car driving slowly. Prophets. They were probably going to turn around the corner soon. I thought.

I wasn't too worried until the car drove right next to me. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw a dark skinned guy with dreads staring at me. "Something interesting that caught your eye?!" I spat with an attitude. "Aye, chill out ma. I'm just tryna holla at you. Why you bitches always gotta be so stuck up!?" He hissed.

"Excuse me!? Who are you calling a bitch?" I shrieked angrily. "You, nigga." I stopped walking. The car stopped as well. "I ain't one of your homeboys so don't you dare talk to me like that!" He rumbled in the dashboard before pulling out his gun. "Got a big mouth now huh, bitch!?"

I kissed my teeth and decided to shut my mouth. It was probably one of the many things that could get me killed. The boy looked behind me, fear immediately entering his consciousness. He quickly masked it and tightened his grip on the gun. "What the fuck are you doing here? This isn't your block." Oscar spoke. His voice that was normally soft and caring like when he was with Rico — changed when he spoke to someone he didn't like. His voice now sounded intimidating and dominant.

The boy didn't speak, afraid that Oscar would kill him right on the spot if he said something wrong, which was probably going to happen. After all, he was still a boy. "Get the hell out of here and don't you ever let me see your face again. Or else, estas muerto. (you're dead)" Even though the Prophet didn't understand Spanish, everyone on the block knew that if Oscar spoke Spanish while he was threatening, you fucked up.

He smacked his homeboy on the chest, signaling him to drive off, which he quickly did. I sighed and ran my hands through my hair. "T-Thanks." I softly spoke.

"Your mouth is going to bring you a lot of trouble. Fix it, Sin." I rolled my eyes and walked off, not in the mood to hear his speech again. He grabbed me by my arm and pulled me back. "You good?" He asked me with genuine concern looming in his eyes. I shot him a faint smile. "Yeah.. I'm good. I'm a bad puta." I teased, a deja-vu feeling creeping up. He chuckled.

I don't know what suddenly happened to me. I leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "Thanks again." He stared at me in astonishment. He was probably confused as to how I was dissing him in less than an hour ago and was now acting mushy all of the sudden.

She walked away, leaving Oscar confused and alone in the cold streets of Freeridge. He couldn't believe that he was actually starting to fall for her. He didn't even properly know her. Yet, she began to try and crumble up those guards he had built up years and years ago telling himself to let no one in, and the most terrifying was, she was slowly succeeding at it.