A Bad Phone Call

It's okay to be saved once in a while too.

       Percy and Peter had been dating for a few weeks. Everything was going good, they were a great team and an even greater couple. Peter had gotten a custom made Greek helmet for Percy, so he could help his boyfriend fight crime when the need arose, and Percy had started teaching Peter as much as he could about the ancient cultures and mythologies he was wrapped up in. He was also looking into a way to invest in an ancient Greek weapon that Peter could use against monsters.

       The boys didn't get attacked often, most monsters were too afraid of Percy Jackson, apparently he was a bit of a legend. But, the occasional dumb monster decided to pick a fight with the boys when they were on a date or something. It really spoiled the mood.

       He was thinking about going down the the library to use a computer and try amazon.com. He was pretty sure Hylla owed him- in some shape or form.

       He decided that's what he would do when he got back. He had to return to Camp Half-Blood for a funeral. Asking someone there didn't seem like the best idea at the moment, considering the circumstances.

       Jason Grace had been on a quest helping Apollo. He gave his life to complete the quest and now Chiron had called Sally to ask Percy to return to pay his respects. They had already prepared a shroud to be burnt for Jason.

      Percy packed his bag as Peter sat on his bed. Peter was holding one of Percy's picture frames. It was the group photo of the seven plus Reyna and Nico.

       He was studying the image of Jason, the boy he had heard stories about, but would never get to meet.

       Percy was lost in his thoughts and Peter gave him his time. He knew what it felt like. He knew Percy would need his time.

       It hurt, it always hurt so much and there really was no cure. Time, maybe, but you would never stop imagining a life where they had lived and you still had them by your side.

       While Percy was away, Peter decided he would visit Evangeline's family. He hadn't seen them in a while and he knew it wasn't easy for them.

       Percy was sitting on the floor with his backpack in front of him, mostly packed. He had made sure he had enough for an overnight stay. As he was putting the last of his needed belongings in, his hands began to shake.

       He was over at Peter's watching a movie. After they had come out to everyone as a couple, they had all been so supportive and Aunt May demanded a movie night with the boys.

      They were watching Sherlock, the show. It wasn't a movie, but Peter had gotten hooked.

       Sally had come over and knocked. Estelle was back at their apartment with Paul.

        She and Percy stepped out into the hall, he knew something wasn't alright, his mom was crying softly.

       So, when she broke the news to him, he merely stood there. The information not quite taking effect.

      And now, as Percy packed, it seemed reality hit him. His hands shook and he had to stop what he was doing. Things were starting to look up, he hadn't gotten his happily ever after with Annabeth, but he had gotten Peter and everything was getting better.

       Why couldn't the gods let them live peacefully? They had done their time, they had served and completed nearly impossible quests! They deserved to be left alone.

       Percy didn't want to spend the rest of his life fighting, but he also didn't want to die young. He wanted a semi-normal life. He wanted things to be okay.

       Why couldn't he have that? Why couldn't Jason have that? He didn't deserve to die. None of them did. They had families and lives that were being cut short.

       And- who had to tell Thalia what her little brother was dead?

       That was the breaking point for Percy.

       Peter noticed his boyfriend had started to quietly sob. He knew that he had had enough alone time.

       Peter got off the bed and joined Percy on the floor. He set the last thing in Percy's bag and gently shoved it aside.

       He wrapped his crying Percy in his arms and held him and Percy completely broke down. Sometimes being trapped in your head wasn't for the best.

       Percy's ride would be their soon, but Peter held him longer. He went off the deep end after Evangeline had passed and he didn't want that happening to Percy. He had suffered too much.

       All his scars, all his trauma, he deserved a break. No one deserved what the demigods had gone through.

       Peter made Percy face him and he wiped away Percy's tears with his long sleeve. He made the other boy go was his face in the bathroom and he finished zipping up his backpack.

       Percy was still in the bathroom when his ride arrived.

       A dark haired boy appeared in the shadow of the fire escape. He was pale and looked confused at the sight of Peter sitting on the floor criss-cross.

       Then Percy came out of the bathroom. He regarded the situation with a certain level of security.

       Peter, on the floor staring innocently up at Nico Di Angelo. Nico looked about ready to manipulate the mist when Percy walked out.

       Nico's face melted into one of relief when Percy appeared. Then, taking this as a sign of welcome, he climbed in the window.

       Percy walked over and hugged Nico. They had a brief conversation. He indicated to Peter and Peter got up to be introduced.

       "Nico, this is my-" Percy had only told his parents and Aunt May that he was bi, much less had a boyfriend.

       Nico assessed the two boys, reading into the relationship aura, and his eyes lit up, "So this is your boyfriend?! Everyone at camp knows you made out with a boy in central park, but no one knew if it was just nymph gossip or not!"

       Percy was too caught off guard to respond and he started cursing in his head, how could he forget about the nymphs.

       "Can't believe you haven't told Annabeth and she had to figure out from a dryad. You have her number... she's gonna kill you Perce."

       Peter looked around uncomfortably, he knew Percy and Annabeth had a huge history. He was finding anywhere else to look.

       Percy coughed, "Well, this is Peter Parker, my boyfriend," Peter stuck his hand out to shake. He had manners for days.

       Nico politely obliged, he didn't like physical contact at all, but he was getting better about it, partially because Will was trying to make him a bit more of a people person, and partially to honour Jason's memory.

       Peter smiled at them, "Before you go, I think Sally wants to say hi. She's been waiting and I'm pretty sure she thought you'd use the front door. Have you even met Baby Estelle yet?"

       Nico's face was priceless, "Baby Estelle?" he looked just like the little kid Percy had met all those years ago, eyes wide and full of wonderment.

       "Yeah, I suppose we could go say hi real quick," Percy shot a grateful look at his boyfriend.

       What better way to honour Jason Grace's memory than to live life to the fullest. He was Nico's greatest supporter on his relationship with Will. He and Percy had had their quarrels, but at the end of the day, they were good friends.