A Friend's Shroud

It's okay to be saved once in a while too.

Percy and Nico were in one of the front rows at Jason's funeral. They hadn't retrieved his body, it was to be buried in New Rome, but he got a shroud nevertheless.

The shroud was kind of beautiful. That's why it felt so wrong. It felt sickening, the shimmering silk that was woven in such a way as to look like the sky. Beautiful blues woven along with magnificent whites, it was gorgeous and only reminded Percy of Jason; a fallen hero, a leader, a warrior.

Tears began to roll down his cheeks and he was thankful they obstructed his view. Piper was there, in front, holding the torch to burn the shroud. She looked so broken. She was stunning in a devastating way. Like seeing your best friend cry, they were still beautiful, but they had been hurt badly.

Slowly, Piper began to speak, trying not to cry, trying not to influence her words with her sorrow.

She began to speak of Jason's heroics. It felt strange, Percy remembered all the times that he and Jason were neck and neck.

Then, Piper got to Jason's final battle. How they weren't even a couple anymore and he knew- it was prophesied -that he would die if he helped Apollo. He fought heroically, taking multiple arrow wounds to the limbs, unitl he was distracted and Caligula stabbed him in the back with a spear. Once he fell, Caligula stabbed him once more.

Piper soon could not even speak, her sobs filled the silence. And wit one final, stricken goodbye, she lit the shroud on fire and stepped back.

Percy felt haunted as he watched the embers float into the sky.

***

Peter stood in front of a grave. Which makes sense, since he was in a graveyard. He was gonna have to bring Percy here sooner or later, to meet some people.

***

Later, that night Percy walked to the pavilion for dinner. He had some catching up to do.He had been hugging Piper for 10 minutes, then he had been in his cabin, sitting on his bunk, talking with Annabeth.

Apparently everyone knew he was dating a boy, because nymphs can't keep their mouths shut.

Annabeth was pretty mad and refused to listen, or give Percy a chance to speak. Their conversation ended when she stormed out of his cabin, crying.

Percy sighed, he was always gonna love Annabeth, but now it was a different type of love. He gathered his thoughts as he sat down at his table, alone.

He ignored the pointing and staring as new campers whispered back and forth about the Famous Percy Jackson, saviour of Olympus and junk.

He went through the motions as everyone got their meals and gave a portion to the gods. He asked that Jason go to Elysium, but had a feeling he was already their, and he also asked his father for guidance.

He was cutting into his brisket when Chiron came up to him. He couldn't help but smile at his mentor.

They had a nice conversation, given the circumstances for Percy being back at camp. They talked of Estelle, school, if Percy was keeping his swordsmanship up, and Percy mentioned he was gonna get Paul's Prius soon.

Chiron then went to make rounds to the other tables and campers. Percy mostly just watched. He saw how camp had changed, how life had changed.

Nico and Will brought him out of his daze when they sat down across from him. They brought their plates over and clearly intended to stay a while. They ignored the fact that most the camp was staring at the Poseidon table now.

Will smiled at Percy and gave a quick hello before starting to eat his food. Nico pointed his fork at Percy, "I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but you made Annabeth cry, was this about Peter?"

Percy sighed, "It wasn't intentional. At all. I didn't have a chance to explain anything either. I just- Annabeth moved on. And that was really rough for me. But, given time, I moved on too."

Nico nodded, he and Annabeth were pretty close, but so were he and Percy. He was trying to work things out between them, because he was a good cousin.

They all finished their meals with light conversation, mostly Nico gushing over how cute Estelle was and that Will was required to meet her. And Will demanded that Percy and Peter have a lunch date with them in town soon.

***

Nico was sitting on the steps to his cabin, Annabeth sat beside him. They were talking. Percy headed out early that morning, Nico shadow traveled him back.

Nico was gently trying to tell Annabeth about Peter. How he was good for Percy and was caring and kind. Then he explained that Percy still really loved Annabeth, it just changed.

Annabeth seemed to take it better from Nico, even though he knew he did a shit job of explaining it.

Annabeth sighed, "I know. I know I moved on, I really shouldn't be so hurt that he moved on. I just, I didn't appreaciate learning about it from some gossipy nymphs. And I don't mind that Percy fell for a boy. He's always been an oblivious bi."

Nico laughed, "But really, you would adore Peter. He's a huge dork,"

***

Percy pulled up in front of Peter's school in a beat up blue Prius. He arrived just as school was letting out.

Wearing a leather jacket and ripped jeans, Percy looked like a badboy. Which, in many cases, was true. He was kind of a delinquent.

He smirked when he saw a familiar Academic Decathalon sweatshirt. He waved, "Hey, Parker!"

Peter looked over at him in surprise and happiness. He made his way over to his boyfriend. He was grinning ear to ear.

Of course Flash had to ruin it.

"Penis Parker! Is that your boyfriend? He's out of your league!" He jeered at the duo.

Percy was in too good of a mood, he smirked, made eye contact with Flash for a second, then dragged Peter in for an uncomfortably long kiss, that is, for the by-standers of course.

Flash Thompson's shocked face was one Peter was going to cherish for eternity.