Chapter 9: Advice

(Rena's POV)

"Umm... Hey, Rena?"

I set down the pen I was currently writing my essay with, and I pushed my wheeled office chair back away from my desk with my feet. I craned my neck to look up at Rhythimi. She was stroking her Eevee up in her top bunk, wearing a thoughtful look.

"What is it?" I asked dryly, then flinched at how blunt and rude that sounded. Stupid, stupid, stupid... You're supposed to befriend these idiots, Rena! Not push them away! My face twisted in discomfort, and I quickly started to force out an apology. "Uh, I mean---"

Rhythimi just chuckled, shaking her head. "It's okay, Rena. You don't have to apologize. I know that you initially come off as rough and abrasive, but I know you well enough to know that you're actually a caring person deep down in there somewhere!" Rhythimi laughed, pointing at the place on my chest where my heart was.

I just scowled at her. I was quick to sigh and give up soon after, however. "...whatever." I brushed off her comment. "Anyways, what's on your mind?" Mightyena, who was napping by my feet, opened one eye at the conversation.

Rhythimi just sighed, and her Eevee sat up and hugged her face to comfort her. "It's just... I... I don't know how to get Isaac to look at me!" She sat up in bed, cuddling Eevee in her lap. "Well, he looks at me, but he doesn't really look at me. You know?" She asked, looking over at me with longing eyes, hoping for acceptance.

I just sighed, scratching at my forehead. "Sadly, I do." Mightyena, suddenly feeling he wasn't getting the attention he deserved, jumped up onto my lap and licked my face. I just rolled my eyes and petted the attention hog. "Well, what do you do around him to get him to notice you?" I asked her, stroking Mightyena's black fur.

Rhythimi just sighed again, and she made her way down the ladder and plopped herself down on my bed, right in front of where I was sitting. "Well, I mean, I do the usual. I talk to him every day, and I give him subtle hints that I like him---"

"Stop right there." I abruptly interrupted, holding my hand up to her face to get Rhythimi to shut up. "Subtle hints? Rhythimi, I think it's time I taught you a lesson about boys." Mightyena hopped out of my lap, and I crossed my legs and leaned forwards. I began teaching Rhythimi the basics of being a grifter without her even realizing it, resting my head in my hand. "Alright, here's the thing. Boys, men, same thing. Neither of them take hints. Subtle hints don't work, obvious hints don't work. If you want something, you have to ask for it." Rhythimi was paying close attention to every word, taking a mental note of all of this.

Is there some sort of rule against teaching the mark's friend how to be a grifter...? Oh, who knows.

"Wait, so you want me to just tell Isaac up front that I like him?" Rhythimi raised an eyebrow, catching on to what I was saying.

I just rolled my eyes at her. "Don't be stupid, that's ridiculous. Let the poor bastard figure it out himself." Rhythimi pouted, only encouraging me to continue. "Isaac just needs a little help noticing you." I smirked, looking Rhythimi up and down.

"Wait... I have to change my appearance for him to notice me?" Rhythimi sighed, looking hurt.

"Not necessarily." I stood up and walked over to my dresser, pulling out makeup bags and assorted boxes of beauty products. "You see, Isaac associates what you look like now as the 'friend' look. So, you'll have to do a little extra to snap him out of his stupid thought process. It just couldn't hurt for you to enhance your existing natural beauty." I accidentally complimented her without noticing.

Rhythimi blushed slightly at the compliment I gave her, then stood up and walked over to me. "Oh... Well, alright then. Do what you will! I trust you." She grinned at me, and I stopped rifling through my makeup bag to stare at her smile. I caught myself flashing her a half-smile back, and then the spell was suddenly broken.