Chapter 12: The Outdoor Class

(Rena's POV)

Seven years ago...

"Why do I have to do this again...?" I stared blankly up into my father's blue eyes, tilting my head to the side in confusion.

"Little Rena..." My father chuckled, ruffling the hair that was atop of my head. "A true thief knows to how protect themselves at all times. You never know when you might need to defend yourself."

I stared down at the little boxing gloves father had placed over my fists. "But why...?"

My father just stared directly into my eyes with a look of concern. "Well, what happens if we're out on a job and the guards corner you? You need to learn how to knock out enemies that are bigger than you and knock them out quickly and decisively." He then took his position in front of me, standing his ground. "Now, take a swing at me."

I hesitated, not sure if I really wanted to punch my father. However, the fiery determination that glowed in his eyes suggested that this is what he wanted me to do.

"Okay..." I reluctantly stepped closer to him, readying my fists. "Here we go!"

I slammed my fist into his chest as hard as I possibly could...but he completely blocked it without even hesitating.

Father just sighed and shook his head. "Is that all you've got?"

I bit down on my lower lip, a little peeved at what he had said. "N-no!"

"Then try to hit me harder!" Father insisted, getting ready to block my punch again.

I grunted as I slammed my fist into his gut, but he blocked me again. I threw punch after punch after punch, only to be blocked over and over again by father's quick reflexes. I even tried that roundhouse kick thing he showed me last week a few times, but it was like no matter what move I used, I would just never be good enough to surpass him.

I sighed heavily and flopped onto the ground, pouting at my crushing defeat. "I'm just not cut out for this, Sensei!"

Father just sighed, then crouched down onto the floor in front of me. "Now that's just crazy talk. You're only ten, Rena. It'll take you years of practice to get this down. I've been training to be a thief since I was your age, and I was taught by my Sensei, who was a lot tougher than me. You're lucky that I'm going so easy on you." Father stood up and offered his hand out to me. "Now...are you ready to try again?"

Feeling a little more determined, I grasped his hand and let him pull me up. "...Yes! I'm ready!"

"That's my girl." Father obnoxiously ruffled my hair, then brought me over to a giant punching bag hanging from our gym's ceiling. "Now, here are the spots you want to hit." Father went ahead and pointed to the spots on the punching bag and explained where these places were on the human body. "There are several pressure points you want to hit, like here." My father pointed to a spot that would be around the stomach area. "You have to do a really strong uppercut right here if you want this guy to be knocked down and STAY down." He turned to me with a warm smile on his face. "Also, if you're in a pinch, go for throat punches. If you hit a man hard enough, it'll kill him, so you have to be careful. But, if you're in danger and you have no other choice, don't hesitate to defend yourself."

"Okay, father..." I nodded, paying attention to his lecture one hundred percent. I shyly looked up at his face, then wrapped my arms tightly around his legs since I was too short to reach his torso. "Thanks, father!"

My father just chuckled. "Anything for my Princess!"

________________________________