Chapter 36: Dance the Night Away

(Third Person POV)

"Everybody ready?" Rhythimi stepped off the escalator with a click of her heels and joined the group of Ranger Union employees down in the lobby. The woman was dressed in her amethyst, strapless sweetheart dress that complimented her flawlessly. Her light blonde hair was tucked up into a Cinderella-style up-do.

Wendy wore a mint-hued evening gown that mirrored Sven's tie and her hair, and the two stood side-by-side at the door somewhat impatiently.

Chairperson Erma had on a more plain, floor-length maroon dress that resembled her casual garb, and stood beside Professor Hastings in his tight white tux.

Isaac matched Sven and was dressed in a subtle black suit, and he had on a purple tie that matched Rhythimi's dress.

And Keith? Well...

Keith looked very pissed off from where he stood off from the main crowd, dressed in a black tux and a "salmon" tie that supposedly matched Rena's dress. Although, he hadn't seen the thief for three hours, since Rhythimi whisked her away for a makeover that would make her completely unrecognizable to Altru employees.

"We're ready." Wendy grinned at Rhythimi just about as lovingly as Isaac did when she strode into the room. "You look so great!"

"Thanks!" Rhythimi did a little spin in her flattering dress, tucking a stray blonde hair that had escaped her blonde bun back into place.

"Is Rena ready?" Chairperson Erma quirked a quizzical eyebrow at the blonde as she uttered the question.

"I don't know. You tell me."

One by one, the members of the Ranger Union turned to look at the woman who spoke in Rena's voice coming down the escalator. Wendy and Erma awed at how different the thief appeared, while the men were shocked by how tight that dress pressed against her fair skin.

Keith was the last to turn around, but when he did, his mind immediately regretted it. But his heart hadn't.

Rena had a flirtatious smirk stretched across her glossed lips as she strutted over to Keith in the burning pink racer-back cocktail dress that was a bit too tight in the bodice. She had removed the bandage on her arm and covered the healing gash in as much makeup as she could in attempt to conceal her wound, which worked out a lot better than she had anticipated. The ace bandages were wrapped around her waist underneath the dress, but you could hardly tell it was even there. Her long, dark brown hair had been tucked up into a cropped, light chestnut-brown wig that dusted at her shoulders. The wig had bangs cut straight across her forehead, and if it wasn't for her unforgettable blue eyes, no one would have recognized her as Rena. Not even Keith.

Keith tried not to let the woman standing right in front of him see that his ghostly breath had been whisked away, putting up a tough act and pretending as if he didn't even notice a difference in her appearance. "Are you going to be able to pick-pocket people wearing those heels?"

Rena just scoffed when he struck her pride with that little remark. "Of course I can. They're only five inches!" She eyed her own vibrant pink stilettos with no regrets in her choice of shoes for the night.

"Wow, Rena..." Wendy blinked back her shock. "I hardly even recognize you!"

"Ah ah ah." Rena held up her pointer finger to shush Wendy. "Don't call me by my name. Tonight, I'm simply Kate."

"Kate..." Rhythimi rolled the name off her tongue casually. "Wow. That's going to take some getting used to."

Rena pulled away from Keith and marched right out the door with the most determined expression the world had ever seen written on her face. "Come on, let's go. We have work to do."