Chapter 27: Confiding in You

(Rena's POV)

I reached up to knock on the door, but I quickly drew back my fist and wrapped my arms around my torso. Oh, what am I doing...?

I took a few steps backwards and turned around, clutching my head with my hands. What am I doing, what am I doing!?

Mightyena worriedly stared up at me as I continued to pace back and forth, and he barked questionably. I jerked my finger towards the front door and stiffly spat out my order. "Get out."

Mightyena widened his eyes at my tone, and although he was hurt, he listened and left the room.

I quickly turned towards the door and helplessly held my hand out as I watched him leave. "Mightyena, I---" I paused when he was gone and couldn't hear me anymore, letting the feeling of soul-crushing regret take its place in the pit of my stomach. "I'm sorry..."

I couldn't let him see me like this. I couldn't let him see me so weak, and as such a failure... I've never struggled this much with any job before, and he would be disappointed in me. I know he would be.

I turned to flicker my gaze at the name written across the office door in front of me, and I shook my head no and turned to leave through the gym's front doors.

I can't do this, I just can't... It's just so, so...so---

"Rena?"

Damn it all...

I gritted my teeth and stiffly turned my body, and I almost grimaced at the man who caught me trying to sneak away. "Ahah...uh, Mr. Kaplan! Fancy seeing you here!"

Mr. Kaplan quirked an eyebrow, eyeing me suspiciously. "In front of my office...?" He turned his gaze to his left, glancing at his office door and then back at me in time to see me sweatdrop. "Rena, is there something you wanted to talk to me about?"

I kicked at the ground, intertwining my hands together behind my back. "It's nothing, really..."

"Well at least don't lie to my face." Kaplan chuckled before ushering me inside. "Come on in and tell me what's on your mind."

I sighed deeply and complied, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. It's not like he gave me much of a choice, did he?

"Alright, so what's wrong?" Mr. Kaplan took a seat at his small desk, fixing his eyes on me.

I squirmed uncomfortably in my chair. "I have a code, you see. And I...broke it."

Kaplan quirked an eyebrow at that. "A code, you say? And how exactly did you break it?"

My cheeks reddened so dark I thought I would faint from dizziness as I sank further into my chair. "I...fell for someone I wasn't supposed to."

Kaplan stared at me seriously before eliciting a light chuckle. "Ah, young love... It's such a wonderful thing."

"Not in my case..." I exhaled sharply, worrying Kaplan. "I can't tell you why, but by falling for this guy, I've put both him and myself in danger. And my friends..." I tearfully stared down at the ground, and I refused to let my tears spill over onto my cheeks.

"Rena, what is going on...?" Kaplan cautiously stood up from his desk, walking over and taking the seat next to me.

"I said I can't tell you..." I grimly reiterated myself, sitting up straight again. "I just don't know what to do anymore... I think it would be best for everyone if I just forget about him and walk away from this."

Kaplan looked at me seriously with a torn look. "Well, everyone except for you."

I turned to fix my gaze on him, almost a little startled by what he had said. "What...?"