Chapter 34: Interrogation

(Third Person POV)

Inside of a dark, dimly lit room in the Ranger Union...

Professor Hastings just sighed. He had enough of interrogating this girl at this point; she just wouldn't answer any of his questions! The only thing he knew about her was her name and that she could possibly be one of the biggest criminals in the world, and that's only because he overheard those Dim Sun fools say so during the Union raid. He had been 'interrogating' this woman for over three hours now.

"Answer me!" He slammed his fists down on the steel table, staring directly at Rena. "Just who are you!?"

Rena lazily looked up from the table and at Professor Hastings, noticing the one-way glass window behind him. She knew someone was behind it; she just didn't know who exactly. She stared back at Professor Hastings, wearing a pissed off look.

"Rena, please..." Isaac sighed, looking down at her. "Talk to us." He tried to smother his hurt feelings of betrayal, but it was too easy for someone like Rena to pick up on them.

Rena just scoffed in order to hide her guilt, leaning back in her metal chair. Although, she was handcuffed to the table, so she couldn't exactly lean back too far. She remained completely silent and refused to speak, only deepening Hastings's frustration.

The door to the interrogation room opened, and Rhythimi stepped inside. "Oh, sorry... Professor Hastings, you're needed." Rhythimi apologized, delivering the message. "Chairperson Erma wishes to speak with all of us in the Conference Room."

Hastings nodded, stepping out of the room. As frustrated as he was, he knew taking a break was just what he needed, and this was probably something very important.

Another person dashed into the room after Hastings left, tackling Isaac into a big hug. "Big brother! You're safe!" Melody cheered, hugging him tightly.

Rena's indifferent facade was immediately broken as she stood straight up at the sight of Melody, and her face changed from pissed off to apologetic and distraught.

Melody turned her head, and as soon as she spotted Rena, her face lit up with a big grin. "Big sister!" She stared at Rena's handcuffs looped through a small indentation on the table, then looked back up at Rena. "...why are you chained to a table...?"

Rena wanted to cry. She had a soft spot for Melody; she always did. She didn't want her to find out the truth about her 'big sister,' but it was only a matter of time...

"Melody, let's go." Isaac grabbed a hold of his sister's hand as he glared at Rena, dragging her out the door.

"But, wait! Big brother!" Melody protested, trying to get closer to Rena. "I want to see big sister!"

Rhythimi glared at Rena intensely, and Rena could sense that she was thinking shame on you. It looked like she was about to say something, but all she did was turn and leave with Isaac and Melody.

Rena was left crestfallen and alone as soon as they locked the door behind them. She plopped back down into her chair heavily, and she glanced back at the window in the room. She didn't think anyone was there anymore; they probably left to go see Chairperson Erma like the others did.

But, Rena was wrong. There was someone behind that one-way window, and his name was Keith Jeremy Dazzle: the one person Rena had hurt the most.

Keith didn't know why he was even here in the first place, especially since all that seeing her brought him was pain and more anger.

He didn't want to forgive her. He didn't want to understand her. He just wanted to know...he just wanted to know why.