Chapter 25: Oh My God, Stop

(Rena's POV)

She obnoxiously bumped me with her elbow before not-so-discretely winking in my direction. "So, Rena... Prom is coming up soon. Are you gonna go?" Rhythimi grinned at me brightly. "Isaac heavily suggested that I should go with him...hehe." She squealed to herself like a smitten little school girl.

Mightyena was with me, but Eevee was still napping upstairs. We were both sitting at our lunch table on this Wednesday afternoon, just having finished up our math class for the day. And of course, since Rhythimi was actually on the Prom committee, she just had to bring it up.

I just rose an eyebrow and proceeded to take a rather large bite of my apple. "Why should I? I've got no one to go with."

"Umm, are you sure about that?" Rhythimi seemed to be holding back a laugh as she pointed to something behind me.

I simply just quirked an eyebrow at her. "What are you talking about---" I turned my head to look at what she was pointing to, and my expression immediately hardened. "Oh you've gotta be fucking kidding me."

Keith was down on one knee with a gigantic sign and a bouquet of red roses in his hand, grinning like an idiot. Everyone in the cafeteria was looking our way, since he was causing such a big scene, and it was painfully embarrassing. "Rena, would you please care to accompany my, and I quote, posh ass to prom?" His grin only widened as he handed me the roses.

I took the roses from him and simply retraced my gaze from the stupid red flowers to the other stupid red thing in the room. "Why the hell are you asking me?"

The red-head just shrugged his shoulders. "Well, being the most popular guy in school, I have a reputation to uphold, and I need someone at least decently tolerable to go with me to the four hour dance." His eyes landed on me, and I elicited a groan.

"I'm only decently tolerable?" I shot him a sideways glance, absolutely irritated for reasons I didn't even know myself. Mightyena started cracking up, enjoying the show. "Yeah, because that charm you're using right there Prince Charming is really making me want to go with you even more." The sarcasm dripped off my tongue smoothly, making it sound completely natural.

He rolled his eyes at both the nickname and my sarcastic comment. "So, what do you say?"

I stared at him for a good five minutes before briskly turning back to my lunch. "No." I deadpanned, completely serious.

Rhythimi flipped her lunch tray out of frustration, almost hitting Mightyena with it. "Dammit! Now this stupid sexual tension between the two of you will never end!"

Keith pretended not to hear that and rolled his eyes. "It's just as friends, Rena. I'm not asking you out on a real date."

For whatever reason, that only just pisses me off more.

"It's still a no." I flashed him a hot glare, squinting my eyes tightly in his direction. Mightyena just shook his head at me, and of course I glared at him too.

"Fine, then." He responded with a careless shoulder shrug. "Then I'm just going to keep asking you in really embarrassing ways until you say yes." Keith stood up and left the smirk that was directed at me linger on his face for a moment longer as he walked away.

My face paled in horror. "Don't you dare..."

"Can't hear you, I'm too far away."

"KEITH!"

________________________________

"I still can't believe you turned him down." Rhythimi sighed as she walked with me outside onto the school's campus, shaking her head. "Rena, he's the most popular guy in school. No one turns him down." She fixed her stern gaze on me. "He wasn't kidding when he said he would keep asking you."