Chapter 16: The Truth Will Set You Free

(Third Person POV)

"She's getting away again!"

"Grab her! Someone grab her!"

Rena slipped out of her handcuffs again and made a break for the infirmary's door. She jerked at the doorknob, then groaned when she realized it was locked. The two cops quickly caught up to her and slapped the handcuffs around her wrists for the seventh time, then dragged her back over to the chair.

Janice told the authorities that they could use the infirmary as their interrogation room, since the staff mostly just used it as a break room anyways.

"Stop trying to get away!" The lead cop scolded her, plopping Rena back down in a chair at the table. "You're only making this worse for yourself."

Rena just grumbled incoherent things to herself, sulking further into her chair.

"Now, I'm going to ask you this again..." The second cop exhaled sharply, leaning on the table closer to Rena. "Where. Are. The. Stylers."

"For the love of Arceus! How many times to I have to tell you?!" Rena lost her temper, slamming her handcuffed fists into the table, shaking it violently. "I. AM. INNOCENT! I have no idea what you're talking about!"

The lead cop just scoffed. "Yeah, likely story." He rolled his eyes, then narrowed his gaze at Rena. "Look, girl. We've got motive, means, and opportunity. The DA might give you a break if you just confess right now and tell us where all of those missing Stylers are, but I can't make any promises."

A vein bulged from Rena's forehead. "I already told you. You've got the wrong person! I'm being set up---!"

KNOCK KNOCK!

Suddenly, a person on the outside of the infirmary's door began pounding on it.

The second cop just sighed. "I'll get this..." He trudged over to the door and unlocked it, then opened it. He was surprised to see none other than Mr. Kincaid standing there. "What do you want?"

Mr. Kincaid held his head high, radiating confidence. "I would like to speak with my student. In private."

"Fine..." The second cop turned to face his superior. "Come on, Chief. Let's take a break for a little while."

"I could use a cup of coffee, anyways..." The Pueltown Police Chief shrugged his shoulders, then followed his subordinate out the door.

The second that the two cops left the room, Mr. Kincaid stepped inside, accompanied by Rena's Mightyena.

As soon as Rena locked eyes with Mightyena, her mood was immediately lifted, and her eyes lit up with delighted surprise. "Mightyena!"

Mightyena barked happily and pounced Rena, knocking her over in her chair. She giggled uncontrollably as he licked her face over and over again with worry.

Mr. Kincaid grimaced at their friendship, then closed the door behind him. "Alright, alright. Let's get down to business." He walked over and sat in the chair opposite of Rena, folding his arms across the table.

Mightyena helped sit Rena's chair back up, and she immediately turned to Mr. Kincaid with determination glowing in her blue eyes. "Mr. Kincaid, I'm innocent! You have to believe me---"

"You think I don't already know that?" Mr. Kincaid bitterly cut her off mid-sentence. He just sighed, letting his exhaustion show. "Of course you're innocent, undoubtedly so."

Rena just sat there blinking repeatedly, completely confused. "...wait what?"

Mr. Kincaid just rolled his eyes. "Honestly Raux, the boss described you as much smarter and sharper than that."