Chapter 17: Pull Yourself Together

(Rena's POV)

"Oh man, that was a long day..." I sighed out loud, plopping onto my bed.

Rhythimi and Isaac were downstairs at dinner, and Keith was probably with them too. Not really sure, since I just got out of my three day suspension. Since Kim's eighteen years old, the cops are charging her as an adult, and she's looking at three to four years in prison. It's been all over the news lately how badly her family's been publicly shamed. Even though her Uncle hired her the best and most expensive lawyer, there's no way she's gonna get out of this.

I stared up at the bottom of Rhythimi's top bunk, and I lightly closed my eyes while smiling peacefully. My bed shook when Mightyena jumped up on it, and he curled up next to me.

"Hey, cutie..." I scratched behind Mightyena's ear, and he licked my face. "Haha! You're a strange one..." I rested my head on my pillow, looking into his deep red eyes. "It's pretty nice here, isn't it? More comfortable than at home---"

Ring Ring!

...what in the world?

I sat up in my bed and reached for my cell phone underneath my pillow, and I pulled it out. The Caller-ID was blocked, which was pretty strange. The only time its said that was when---uh oh.

I hastily picked up the phone, nearly dropping it in the process. "B-boss! I'm kinda surprised that you've called to check up on me yourself..."

"Well, that's not the entire reason for why I've called you, Raux." The mystery man seemed irritated, and pretty impatient.

"Oh, really?" I sweatdropped, getting more nervous by the second. "Wh-what's the problem, then?"

"Get a hold of yourself!" The mystery man suddenly snapped at me, making me jump from surprise. "What do you think you're doing!?"

"What are you talking about...?" I raised an eyebrow at him, deeply confused.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." His words were curt and straight to the point. "Have you forgotten why you're in the Ranger School in the first place?! Have you lost your sense of reality?! It's JUST a job, Rena! These people are NOT your friends, and you'll be leaving them behind in a few months!"

My heart shattered, and the glass pieces of my heart began to chip away and fall to the floor. "O-of course I haven't forgotten... I know that this is just a job, and it's not real. I know my friendships with these people are not real." I lied, covering up my indifference pretty well.

"Good." The mystery man probably nodded his head, pleased with my answer. "I was worried you were starting to falter, and you would compromise the mission I've worked so hard to complete."

"No, sir! Not at all!" I quickly sputtered out my words. "...may I ask what led you to believe I was starting to feel indifferent?"

"Ah." He cleared his throat. "It's just that Kincaid has been sending his weekly reports in, and they're all saying the same thing: you four get along very well together. I was worried you had forgotten your purpose for befriending these imbeciles, and I'd have to send someone down there to make you learn your place."

They're not imbeciles at all... I used to think that, but they're really not.

I made an audible, nervous gulp. Make me learn my place?! What does he mean by that?! "N-no sir! That won't be necessary at all! Don't you worry, I will not fail you."

"Good girl." The mystery man's grin was very apparent, even from the other end of the line. "Now, I must be going. Duty calls."

"Of course, boss." I nodded my head in agreement.

Click!

You know, I think I actually forgot for a second that my life here at the Ranger School is fake...

And that...makes me a little sad.

I slumped my shoulders as I slowly dragged my cell phone down to my lap. I shoved it back under my pillow and flopped back onto my bed with a heavy sigh.

"Arf...?" Mightyena whimpered sadly, looking at me with big sad anime eyes.

I wore a melancholy expression, feeling a sudden wave of depression wash over me. I began petting his fur depressingly. "Mightyena, I... I don't think I want to do this job anymore..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I just love you guys so much and enjoy spoiling you, I did 5 updates in 2 days ^-^ hehe.... Feel special! I wrote this chapter while at work JUST for you guys!

So, Rena is starting to not want to do the job anymore, and kinda likes having friends O-O uh oh.... Looks like trouble is coming for our favorite character....

Read, comment, vote, and enjoy!