Chapter 31: It Must Be Done

(Rena's POV)

I couldn't sleep. All night, I couldn't sleep at all. It's tearing me apart inside, and I... I am ashamed of myself.

How could I be so stupid!? I'm the thief, and he's the mark. I CAN'T fall for him; it's impossible. It's forbidden. And now...

I have to break his heart.

Oh man... Why the hell did I kiss him!? I lost control for one damn second, and... BAM! I fucked up big time! That was the worst mistake I could have EVER made! I should've just cut my ties with him like I had planned to and leave it like that...

Staring up at the ceiling with an exhausted gaze, I tore the comforter off of me. I slipped out of bed and walked over to the dresser, and I began packing my bag. It helped that I only unpacked what was necessary last night. I put all of my clothes away with the exception of my jump suit and one civilian outfit. I didn't have much else, since I travel so lightly. I took both outfits into the bathroom and set them onto the counter. I took a twenty minute shower, and the reason it took so long was because I kept spacing out and wallowing in my despair.

I'm pathetic, aren't I?

I stepped out and dried off, then got dressed into my jump suit. I pulled my jeans and long sleeved shirt over it, making sure none of the black stretch material was visible.

KNOCK KNOCK!

"Hey, Rena! You awake? Breakfast is ready."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, choking down a sob. "Y-Yes! I'm coming!" I tried to clear my throat so my voice wouldn't sound so shaky, and I pulled myself together. I stepped out of the bathroom and walked over to the door, peering out the peep-hole. Sure enough, Keith was there. He was waiting for me with a grin on his face.

"I'm still not going to give up on you! I will never, ever give up on you!"

Why... Why won't he abandon me like everyone else in my life has already? It would be better if he just left me alone...

I've already made up my mind. I'm not going down to breakfast, because it's easier for me to just get this over and done with.

I know exactly who the boss is and what he's capable of, and I will not risk hurting Keith more than I already have to.

I swear to you, Keith, I will always protect you. Even if you hate me with every fiber of your being after this.

And I promise, no matter what happens, that you will forever and always be the only man I have ever loved.

But in order to keep you from missing me when I'm gone...

...

I have to make you hate me more than you hate your own father.

"I'll be right out in a few minutes, so don't bother waiting for me." I rested my forehead on the door, closing my eyes gently. "I'll meet you downstairs." I sighed breathlessly, lowering my heels to stand flat-footed on the floor now.

Keith shrugged his shoulders, turning on his heel. "Alright, seeya in a bit then."

Why... Why must this be so hard?

I grabbed my bag and made sure I didn't leave anything behind in the room, for it would be my last time in here.

And that's when I saw it.