08| habitual

"Something is always going to be there...the pain, the heartbreak, the love... It's never going to go away." - E.D

   Ian started work at Westchester on Monday, but it was an easy adjustment for everyone to make. It was honestly just like the old times before he left. Even Mason said once he's settled in to his apartment, he's going to talk to Mr. Westchester about a job, too.

A whole high school gang reunion in our favorite high school hangout!

Luckily for Mr. W's employees, he closes all of the features of the park, puts up a "No Lifeguard on Duty" sign on the beach, and only charges for entry on most holidays. This all means that we don't have to work on the Fourth of July, a holiday fun enough on its own, but being a young adult of drinking age makes it even better.

My Fourth of July outfit this year consisted of a bikini top with a flag on it and high-waisted jean shorts. My hair was left natural, per usual, and stuck with waterproof mascara for makeup. Despite the pool being closed, I always end up in it by the end of the night every year, whether it's a choice or by force, and my makeup gets ruined anyway. Plus, I'd sweat it off.

To avoid being scolded by my brother, despite being 22 years old, I put on a white tank top over my bikini top as opposed to arriving in it. Nothing grinds Anthony's gears like watching his little sister grow up.

   Kaila emerged from her bedroom in a white crop top that was knotted in the front and high-waisted jean shorts, similar to mine. Her hair was in a cute messy bun with an American flag-patterned headband to keep her flyaways out of her face.

   "Cute fit," I told her as I checked my phone to see if Joel texted me back.

   Unfortunately for him, he has tryouts in the morning and doesn't want to deal with a hangover, so he can't drink tonight. Fortunately for us, that means Joel can be our designated driver.

   "Joel's here," I informed Kaila after reading my phone. We both picked up our wallets and cells and darted out the door.

   The Fourth is undoubtedly one of the most fun holidays there is, for a young adult at any rate, but it's also a special one for me, especially since Ian was deployed. The holiday may not be to honor soldiers, but it definitely makes you think of them. It's on holidays like Independence Day and Memorial Day that I think extra hard about what Ian and the other soldiers are doing to fight for our country.

   When we made it into Westchester, free because of our employee IDs, we set out to find Ian and Mason because they'd gotten here just a little before us.

   The beach being the only thing open and it being the Fourth, it looked to be busy for miles. We were lucky Ian found us a good spot; it was close to the water, but not too close where we'd be getting wet.

   "Hey guys," Ian greeted as he pulled his red polo over his head. Judging by his wet hair and wet swimsuit, I think it's safe to assume he and Mason just jumped in the water. Mason was also dripping, but decided to keep his shirt off and air dry. "Check it out." He flashed us his sleeve where he had a medal clipped onto it.

   It was a medal he received for being a reserve soldier, according the engraving.

   "What exactly is a reserve soldier?" I asked him.

   Ian's eyes tore away from his medal he was clearly proud of, which he had every right to be, and found mine. "I can be called into active duty at any given time. I decided that was the better bet, so I can go to school now."

   I smiled at him, only half of it forced. Part of me was terrified at the thought of him leaving for war again, but the other was so proud that he was finding a way to do everything he loves in life. Basically, I was in the same place as I was four years ago when I found out he was leaving — happy and terrified.