31| weight

"Keep your mouth busy, not your mind." - A.W

   After Ian left, Mason picked me up from my lonely, empty apartment and drove me to Kaila's. I was barely in any condition to drive considering I was on the verge of a mental breakdown that could occur at any given second. I spent the day at Kaila's with her and Mason, where we all comforted each other pretty much all day.

   It was a hasty decision the morning before Christmas Eve when Anthony came over in the morning to check up on me that I decided I wanted to go home for Christmas Eve and Christmas.

   Normally, Anthony and I stop by Christmas Day in the morning and leave by midday. Holidays with my parents aren't the most fun because it's been over twenty years and they still argue constantly. I usually just prefer spending Christmas with Kaila at Westchester, sipping on some martinis on the beach.

   However, this year I wanted nothing more than a hug from my mom and dad.

   Anthony agreed that going to see our parents for the holiday could be nice, so we packed our bags and drove from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, where my parents moved to after graduation.

   They thought that moving would solve their issues.

   I swear, they tried everything under the sun to solve marriage problems besides divorce, the only option that is bound to work at this point.

   "Shut it, Sean, they're here!" I heard my mom yell at my dad from the other side of the door to their small home that was the perfect size for a married couple with fully grown children. She's already yelling at him and we haven't even made it in the door yet, so this should be an interesting holiday.

   At least my missing Ian issue won't be the only thing on my mind.

The door swung open, revealing my beautiful mother who looks great for her age. She's in her late 40's by now, but could pass for mid-thirties if she tried. While still handsome, time has not been as kind on my dad. His looks caved under the stress, creating wrinkles and loss of hair. He's not balding, yet, but his hair has definitely thinned out immensely over the years.

The stress of being married to each other can't be any help either.

   "Hey, mom," I said softly.

   I, personally, did not tell them about Ian leaving. Anthony did last night when we decided to come visit.

   She enveloped me in a momma bear hug that I didn't know I needed until I was experiencing it.

   After probably 3 seconds of being hugged by my mom, I started crying. Within two seconds of hearing my sobs, both my dad and my brother joined our hug. For the first time since I was probably five years old, my family was sharing a group hug.

   My mom pulled away and held me at arms length. She smiled at me as she wiped away my tears and held my face.

   "It'll be alright, honey." Although I know there is no way she knows that, her heart is in the right place. I appreciate that, even though my parents are rather absent in my life, I can count on them to be here for me when I need them.

   "I'm just going to go wash my face and put my stuff in the guest room." I hate how red and blotchy my face gets after I cry.