34| growth

"I wanna see you shine in the night like the diamond you are." - Khalid

*one month later*
*February*

   Ian's absence is obviously not ideal, but it hasn't been as difficult as I anticipated. I thought it'd hurt worse than it did the first time he left, but I recovered quicker. I'm coping.

   He kept his promise to make sure he stays in touch. He tries to call at least once a week, even if he sometimes can't. Hearing from him is consistently the highlight of my week, simply just knowing he is okay.

    "Josie," Jocey snapped her fingers in front of my face. Her and the other girls pointed out to me that my attention span has dwindled since Ian left though. It's like my mind is always on him. "Customer."

   Hesitantly, I left my phone at the counter in the cafe and went to take the order of the group of teens that just walked in.

   Luckily, they made it easy on me by just ordering waters all around. Just as I was about to start filling the cups, I heard my phone ring the signature ringtone I have for whenever I have a phone call from an unknown number.

   "Hello?" I answered, abandoning the cups that needed to be filled.

   Another reason to be thankful for such a cool and understanding boss like Mr. Westchester is that he doesn't mind when I take a few minute break to take a personal call from Ian. He understands that I only get minimal opportunities to talk to him.

   "Hey, pretty girl." My favorite voice in the whole world.

   "E," I grinned. "How are you?"

   "Always at my best when I'm talking to you." Jocey made eye contact with me from the back of the kitchen and mouthed Ian's name, asking if it was him. I nodded back to her. "Guess what?"

   "What?"

   "I'll be home for the weekend of Easter."

   "That's awesome, E. I can't wait." It's been almost two months since I'd seen Ian, and it'll still be another two until I see him again, but it gives me something to look forward to. "I miss you so much."

   "I miss you too. I'm counting down the days."

   "Me too," I agreed. These next two months can't go by fast enough. Though I wish I was able to spend one of our birthdays together or a major holiday instead, I'll take what I can get. More than anything, im just glad I get to see him soon.

   "I have to call my family, but I love you endlessly, Jos."

   "I love you. I'll see you later."

   Two months. I have to make it two more months without seeing Ian, then I get an entire weekend to spend with him. All the while, I will be thanking God for bringing him back to me.

I put my phone down and finally filled up the waters for the group that was patiently waiting.

"Sorry about that wait," I apologized. They just shrugged and said it's fine. I proceeded to take their order and give it to the cooks in the back.