13| change

"What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you?" - The Script

*10 years ago*

   Hayden, Ian's brother, wanted to try fishing in a stream in the woods only about two miles from our houses, and we managed to talk him into taking us along.

   I've only hung out with Ian one-on-one like this a couple of times, so I was kind of nervous, but Ian had the personality that made it easy to be around him. I wasn't too stressed about it.

   "We're going to go explore," Ian told Hayden who made himself comfy by the stream.

   "Don't get killed."

   My eyes widened at fear at Hayden's recommendation. Ian saw the fear in my eyes and immediately whacked Hayden upside the head. "We'll be fine, Josie."

   I definitely trusted Ian more than Hayden. Brothers are always trying to be like that, especially Anthony.

   We branched off away from Hayden and started taking off down a rather basic path. It was definitely one used by many trail walkers.

   "What do you want to do?" Ian asked me, looking around. I took notice to a not-so evident path that we could take, and I got an idea.

   "You can't laugh at me, but I have an idea."

   "I'd never laugh at your ideas." My 12 year old heart swooned.

   "We could play survivor. And before you say that's dumb," I quickly came to defend myself, "it's actually fun pretending we are lost and don't have shelter."

   "I don't think it's dumb. I think it sounds fun." So, I motioned for him to follow me down an interesting path that led us to many obstacles to maneuver through.

*6 years ago*

  Ian whipped his car into a makeshift parking spot like the insane driver he is. I swear I regret driving with him every time. He drives like he's in a rush and got places to be, as if the woods won't be here if he went the speed limit.

   "What is the rush, Ian?" I groaned, rushing to keep up with him as he took off through the woods.

   We were just supposed to stay home and cuddle up watching a movie, but Ian decided to inform me when he showed up that he really wanted to go to the woods. I didn't want to, honestly, but I felt bad saying no. We only go adventuring in the woods together, so it's not like he could go with Mason or something.

   "It's a beautiful day, Josie Elle," he turned around just to grin at me. I couldn't help but grin back. It's nearly impossible to stay annoyed with him for long.

   I picked up my pace ever-so-slightly because I did not want to get lost in the woods by myself and Ian was moving rather fast.

   "Ian," I sighed after another minute. I was officially fed up. Part of the fun of adventuring is doing it together and he's practically an entire mile ahead of me, sucking the fun out of it. "Can you please slow down?" He could sense my annoyance and stopped so I could catch up. When I reached his side, he grabbed my hand and kissed my palm.

   I definitely would've napped if I had known there'd be a change in plans, but I was just planning on falling asleep mid-movie on the couch with Ian. I guess I'm moreover just irritable because I'm tired.