30| farewell

"When you stop fighting, you stop living. So, find your fight then fight like hell till your battle has won." - Peyton Sawyer

"Are you almost ready, Papps?" Ian called from outside the bathroom.

I opened the door while simultaneously applying my mascara to show him I'm close to finished.

Ian came up behind me, and I could see his reflection in the mirror. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. "You look beautiful," he murmured in my ear.

I twisted my mascara wand back into its bottle, then turned to face Ian. I grabbed his face and gently pressed our lips together. "I love you."

I have always been easily affectionate toward Ian, but I've been even more so since yesterday when we found out he's leaving. I want to let him know how much he means to me every chance I get.

"I love you to the end of the world." He kissed me one more time before pulling me out of the bathroom. "We should get to this party."

Every year, Westchester closes the park on the Saturday before Christmas, and Mr. Westchester invites all current and several past employees. We do white elephant, drink if we are of age, and have good laughs. It's always a fun, uplifting time, except this year Ian will be putting quite the damper on the mood with his unfortunate news.

"It's going to be so hard walking away from everyone again," Ian sighed as we walked out to my car. Neither of us are drinking today because Ian has an early departure tomorrow. I don't want to be hungover when I'm saying goodbye for who knows how long.

His colonel promised him vacation time where he gets to come home, but he has no idea when he will receive it.

Ian returned his leased car to his dealer earlier today because he won't be needing it for a while. As for the apartment, I'm moving out and back in with Kaila. All of Ian's furniture and belongings he can't take with him are either coming with me or in a storage unit. Our home as we know it would no longer be ours, starting Wednesday.

"I know, it will." I feel terrible because I don't know what I could say to make him feel better about this.

I have to be a realist right now, and the reality is that it sucks that Ian is leaving again. Everyone was finally getting used to having his unique and upbeat character around again, and now he has to go. Ian is loved by so many people, and he will be missed like crazy while he is gone. So, yeah it sucks. But he is doing what he is passionate about for the country he loves. I'm so proud of Ian for everything he has accomplished, everything he has yet to accomplish, and everything he stands for. Ian dreamed his dream and took action to make it his reality.

Go him.
He deserves the world and more.

We arrived at the party fashionably late. It was for the better though. Ian wants to rip off this bandage of breaking the news, and now he doesn't have to wait for everyone to arrive.

Those who matter the most when it comes to receiving this news were here: Kaila, Mason, Noah, Mr. Westchester, and Anthony. And then several other people that Ian has connected with since he's been back: Cara, Jocey, Caroline, and the twins.

"Mr. Westchester," I went up to Mr. W with Ian as he went to go ask if he could deliver some news to everyone. "Do you mind if I share some news with everyone before we get the white elephant started?"

"Knock yourself out, Miller," he patted his back and went to take a seat.

   Everyone was standing or sitting around the lounge, talking amongst themselves. Ian cleared his throat nervously before stepping up onto the stage with the microphone in front of him.