38| destiny

"Sometimes people are put into our life to be taken away when we least expect it." - Unknown

Practically everyone that knew Ian and I knew the story of how we met. We loved to tell it. I mean, it was so movie-like. I bumped into him and completely ruined his brand new white Nikes, which he would still deny to this day were brand new, by spilling spaghetti sauce all over them. He could've hated me and been a jerk, but it was the start of an amazing friendship and beautiful relationship.

   Our lives just immediately intertwined. Mason, Ian's long-term best friend, and Kaila, my long-term best friend, hit it off just the same as we did. Plus, there was Noah, a unique character who easily got along with everyone around him. Our friendship was like Cinderella's glass slipper being the perfect fit to her foot — it was destiny.

   Lunch had been a blast that day as we interacted, but it only got better from there.

*11 years ago*

Kaila and I went our separate ways from Ian, Noah, and Mason after a lunch full of laughter. My day was already on a good path, but meeting them both ensured everyday to follow would be undoubtedly good.

"They are so funny," Kaila laughed. The thirty minute lunch had gone by so fast because we spent the time cracking jokes and getting to know a little about our new friends.

"I still can't believe I ruined Ian's shoes though."

"Knowing you, you'll probably feel bad about that for the next decade." Kaila joked, but she's probably right. "Well, this is my class, but I'll see you at the bus, right?"

"Yeah," I nodded before heading to my own a few doors down.

Before I knew it, it was the last class of the day, which is science for me. I had a friend from my elementary school in it, but we weren't that close. It's one of those friendships where you are simply just friends and they have friends they are closer to and would rather talk to.

Unfortunately, Isadora, the friend I was describing, had other friends in our science that she was sitting with, leaving me alone with no one to sit by.

My disappointment lasted a mere second when my eyes landed on Ian Miller the same time as he looked at me.

"Josie, come on, sit by me." He pulled out one of the empty chairs next to him and insisted I sit by him. I grinned a little and went over to sit by him.

   I'm relieved to know someone, but I'm happy that the someone I know is Ian. I'm really looking forward to developing a friendship with him.

   "Noah's in this class, too, but he's just late. He's late to everything."

   "Heard that," came Noah's voice from behind Ian and I both. "Papps, nice to see you again."

Instead of sitting next to Ian, like Ian probably intended with the saved seat next to him, Noah pulled out the chair beside me.

"Papps?" I questioned, amused. Most people just call me Jos, if they give me a nickname at all.

"You can't even tell me you don't like it," Noah smirked.

"It's new." I did like it though. I don't know why either. It just seemed to work. I guess being given a nickname by a guy that is part of a friend group you just met a couple hours ago for a half hour is pretty cool. "What do you think, Ian? Papps?"

"Something tells me it's gonna stick."

I chuckled softly as the teacher came to the front of the class to begin introducing herself.