Marching Band

- "I love bad weather."

Any mother who forces their child to play the tuba must hate them. At least that's what Marvin thought as he lugged the giant case to the band room. He hated the snickers he could hear when people watched him struggle to carry the huge instrument. It wasn't that Marvin was scrawny and small; he was actually a bit bigger than most of the other guys at his school. He was just pretty weak from skipping almost every gym class during freshman and sophomore year. The sun shone in his eyes from the window, mocking him. He had hoped for bad weather the day before so he wouldn't have to practice outside, but the world had other plans.
Marvin finally arrived at the large familiar room. As much as he complained about practicing, he loved being in band. Chairs were scattered around, and loose pieces of sheet music were abandoned on the floor. As he dropped his hefty case to the ground, the band director, Mr. Vera, strode over to him.
"Hey, Marv'! I just told the other students that a few kids from the yearbook committee will be taking photos while we practice today. Alright bud?"
People seeing him practicing tuba in the yearbook was the last thing that Marvin wanted at the moment, but he didn't have the energy to care. "Yeah, that's fine." he replied. With a sigh, he picked up his case and headed out to the field with the rest of the band.
Marvin retrieved his instrument, scolding himself for letting his mother convince him to play tuba for the millionth time. He was certain he didn't know anyone from the yearbook committee, so he was bit embarrassed that their first impression of him would be a weird guy playing the tuba in marching band. Just to be sure, he located the group a little ways up the field. He spotted two seniors who kept checking their phones, an overly excited freshman who kept looking around the field in wonder, and a tall junior with a camera. Marvin felt himself blush a bit at the sight of the last member. He was pretty cute, with his perfect brown hair and adorable smile. He caught Marvin looking at him, smirked, and pretended to snap a photo. Marvin quickly looked to the ground, hoping the kid couldn't see his face. Great, he thought, this guy's going to think I'm just some band geek. Throughout practice, he kept stealing glances at the boy whenever he could, hoping he wouldn't notice, and of course, Marvin mentally freaked out every time he thought that he did.
3 hours of vigorous tuba playing later, Marvin was on his way back to the building when he felt someone tap his shoulder. He was greeted by the kid, who was even more gorgeous now that he was up close.
"Hey! Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could get a picture of you? For the yearbook?" His voice was sweet and melodic, and Marvin didn't even know what to say.
"But, I'm just the guy who plays the tuba." he replied quietly.
"Okay, but you've got the best looking instrument for the photo." The boy smiled at him, which filled him with a bubbly feeling.
"I, uh, I guess if you want to, you can." Marvin stuttered. Marvin smiled at the camera, but the boy shook his head.
"No no no, I think we need more of a candid feel. This seems too forced." he said. "Just hold your tuba a bit loosely, and look this way." The boy held Marvin's chin and directed his face to the left. "Much better. Now smile naturally. Think of something that makes you happy." As he snapped a few photos, Marvin replayed the moment the boy had touched him in his head, which caused his face to morph into a perfect giddy smile. "So," the kid said, startling him a bit, "Do you have a name 'tuba guy'?"
"Marvin. And you?"
"Whizzer Brown. Hope you like how the photos turned out!" Whizzer waved to him quickly before catching up with his group. Marvin touched his chin lightly, feeling a bit flustered. Damn it Marvin, now you've done it, he scolded himself, You've gone and fallen in love.

716 words