Christmas

- "I love you too."

A.N.// my apologies for not updating for a bit. school started which will make it harder to update as often, but I love writing this story so I'll do as much as I can :) I hope this kinda long chapter can make up for it

     Marvin had never spent the holiday season without his family. Though lately, he felt as though he was slowly joining Whizzer's. He had only spent a bit less than a month with them, but they had treated better than any of his relatives ever had. The only thing that made him feel a bit less connected was that he couldn't relate the the Christmas hype that the Brown family certainly expressed, especially Whizzer's father. Their house was decorated fully within the first week of December, inside and out. Of course it was impressive, but it was also a bit excessive. Even Whizzer seemed to think so once he woke up that morning to a bed intertwined with flashing red and green lights. Marvin looked up from the table to see him walk downstairs grumpily before sliding into the seat next to him.
     "What's up with you?" he asked, stifling a laugh; he often found Whizzer's "angry" face amusing.
     "Ask my dad." he replied. Whizzer rolled his eyes before muttering something along the lines of "ruining my room" and "it's too bright". Marvin shook his head.
     "Well I hope your hungry, because your dad made a lot before leaving." He gestured to the array of pancakes and toast.
     "Leaving?"
     "Yeah. He's buying gifts for you and Ilah. I told him not to bother with buying me something, but I don't think I convinced him."
     "Oh shit. That's what I forgot about." Whizzer quickly grabbed some toast and slabbed butter on it hastily. "I'm gonna have to run out too. I completely forgot about buying gifts."
     "Alright. If you're leaving soon, I'll tell your dad where you are."
     "Okay. And don't think I'm not getting something for you." He winked before shoving the toast in his mouth and rushing back up to his room to get dressed. Marvin sighed and grabbed more pancakes. After a few minutes, he ran down again, gave a quick wave, and sped out the door. Ilah climbed down soon after and joined him at the table. She noticed her brother and father gone, and quickly figured out the situation.
     "This happens every year. They always wait 'til the last minute." She pursed her lips before squeezing as much food as she could onto her plate.
     "Do you ever buy gifts?" Marvin asked. Even if he wasn't really celebrating the holiday with them, he almost felt obligated to get them something.
     "Oh, I never buy gifts." said Ilah, and Marvin nodded, glad that he wouldn't be the odd one out. "I do draw them all pictures, though. I can draw something for you too, if you want." He just grunted. Maybe I should just get something, he thought. But what the hell could I even buy? He had a general idea for Whizzer, but he had no idea what Ilah could want, let alone Whizzer's father. He groaned internally, before finishing breakfast and brainstorming some terrible ideas.

Christmas Eve rolled around quicker than Marvin had expected it to. Missing school was nice, mostly because it gave him time to wrap gifts and spend some extra time with Whizzer. Around 5:00 pm, when he was helping Mr.Brown with dinner, Whizzer dragged him away from the kitchen without a word.
"Can we talk?" he asked quietly.
"Sure, what is it?" Marvin replied nervously.
"I've been thinking a lot about trying to make the decision, and I think I know what I want to do. I just would like to ask you something about it first."
"Alright."
"How would you feel, hypothetically, if I was ready for a relationship again," Whizzer hesitated, "but not necessarily with you?" Marvin almost choked. That was the last thing he'd want. But then again, he knew that if that's what Whizzer wanted, it's what he deserved to have.
     "If it makes you happy, then that's all I want." Whizzer smiled.
     "Thank you. You just made this a whole lot easier." He returned to the kitchen, but Marvin could barley move. Easier? Was that his decision? To just find someone else and leave me alone? He gulped, and followed him to help finish dinner.

     Later that night, the four of them exchanged their gifts. Marvin was actually quite happy with what he had gotten everyone.
     "Alright Ilah, this one's for you." Mr.Brown said happily, handing the present to her. She ripped the paper carefully, and revealed a large set of paint brushes along with a few canvases. She thanked him before setting aside and handing a gift to Marvin.
     "Don't open it right now. It's pretty special, and I hope you like it." He nodded and gave his gift bag to Whizzer's father. He was happy to find a very nice pair of headphones. Before he was able to thank him, Whizzer interrupted him.
     "Oh thank you Marvin! Now he can listen to Christmas music without eternally annoying the rest of us." The group giggled as they kept exchanging their presents. A short while later, Whizzer took his gift from Marvin. He tore the paper hastily, anxious to see what he might find. A card was taped to the front of the box, with a note that said "read later". "Oh Marv'!" he gushed. He held the record player and the four records close to his chest and grinned. "Thank you so much!"
     "One of those records has that song you like, 'A Teenager In Love'." Whizzer's mouth fell open.
     "You remembered? Aw, you're too sweet." He set them aside carefully and looked back at him. "As for your present, I will be giving it to you tomorrow." Marvin's heart pounded. He had been anticipating the gift, and now he would have to wait even longer. 
     "It better be good." he joked.

     "Wake up! Wake up!" Even from Whizzer's room, Marvin could hear Ilah and her excitement. "It's Christmas!"
     "Alright, alright." he heard Whizzer mutter. "I need to talk with Marvin for a bit, okay?" A few moments later, he stood in the doorway. "Well, good morning." he smirked. "Ilah was wondering if you ever opened that drawing."
     "I did not." he admitted. He quickly grabbed it from the side of his bed and took of the waxy paper wrapping. He and Whizzer both looked at it, slightly confused.
     "Is that...is that me?" he asked Marvin incredulously.
     "I think so." he chuckled. "Uh, did you open my card?" Marvin asked, quickly changing the subject.
     "I brought it in here to read it."
     "Oh God, I hate hearing what I write."
     "Too bad." He grinned. "Whizzer, you have done so much for me within the last month, and even before that as well. After everything that had happened between us, you didn't hesitate to help me, and I find that admirable. You cared about me, and wanted me to be okay. Even your family took me in without a second thought, which is more than my own family has ever done for me. When I found out you were with someone else, it hurt me. I felt selfish, and I knew I loved you, and it was hard for me to accept that you had moved on. Later on, when I found you, hurt and afraid, I was so scared. I wanted you to be okay, and I don't think I've ever hated anyone more than the boy who did that to you. I tried my best to understand that you would obviously want space, and though it was hard, I made myself leave you alone, because it was best for you. You felt bad when it took you long to make a tough decision, something you should've never had to apologize for. It wasn't your fault that you were still hurting. And once you told me your feelings recently about this decision, about whether or not we could ever work out again, what I told you was true. After seeing you upset too many times, all I would ever want is for you to be happy. Whatever decision you make, I will respect. Thank you again, for everything you've ever done for me. I'll never be able to repay you." Whizzer stayed silent for a few minutes, the card still grasped firmly in his hands. Marvin looked up at him.
     "Are you okay?"
     "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Perfectly fine. I just.." he looked back at him, and smiled wider than Marvin had ever seen before. "I just don't know how to thank you for that. I don't know anyone who has ever cared that much about me."
     "Well, um, it's no problem." he replied, trying his bet to ignore the heat on his cheeks.
     "Your gift is in my room. C'mon." He followed Whizzer and the two stood in the middle of the bedroom. "So as you might've guessed, my gift to you is, an answer." Marvin nodded. He knew what was coming. "Again, thank you for that card. It meant a lot to me." He nodded again. "There's just one thing you need to do before I tell you." He grunted.
     "Fine. What is it?"
     "Look up."
     He glanced up at the ceiling and froze. Is that..? There's no way Whizzer is that cliche, right? That can't be-
     Whizzer grabbed him, and confirmed his suspicions. He hadn't realized how much he missed the feeling of their lips locked. Now it all rushed back to him, leaving him feeling slightly delirious. A few moments later Marvin gazed at him, before smirking.
     "Mistletoe? Really?"
     "Oh c'mon, I'm just trying to get into the spirit of the season."
     "Okay, fine." He giggled, and plopped onto the bed.
     "I really want to be with you again, and I know we both care about this enough to make this work. The only reason I was hesitant was because of trust, but when you told me how you felt and when you gave me that card, I knew I was ready for this." Whizzer lied down next him, and the two sat comfortably for a few sweet minutes of silence.
     "I love you so much." said Marvin, absentmindedly playing with Whizzer's hair.
     "I love you too." 

1687 words