Drive

- "Sing for us all."

      "I'll be outside waiting. Good luck!" Whizzer gave him a quick peck on the cheek before Marvin stepped inside the room. His hands had been sweating since they left the house. Paranoid, he tried his best to wipe them off as he looked at the other people around him. Surprisingly, he didn't recognize anyone. An older woman walked in a moment later and smiled at the group.
"Good afternoon, students. I'm very impressed with the turnout for the mid-year auditions. Unfortunately, that means both good and bad things." Marvin gulped, and the woman continued. "I can tell that we're going to have a much larger choir compared to the last few years, which will help those who feel less comfortable with singing by themselves. But there is no way we will be able to let all of you in. I wish you all the best of luck , and we'll be doing these auditions alphabetically." He began picking at the collar of his shirt. Alphabetically meant that he would be towards to beginning, which was the opposite of what he wanted. "I'm going to ask the everyone to step out, except for Tanya Austin. You'll be going first." The large group filed out into the hall, and Marvin leaned up against the wall. What on earth have I gotten myself into? He shook his head. Just days ago, Whizzer has signed him up for some sort of audition, and while it was a pretty harmless environment, Marvin was terrified. The only thing that had made him come was Whizzer's enthusiasm, which was extremely contagious. But with his boyfriend waiting in the parking lot, the negative thoughts were able to sneak back into his head. The concept of the audition wasn't difficult; sing part of one of the songs from the list, and wait a few days to see who got in. That wasn't the part that scared him. He couldn't stand the thought of people judging him, but that's exactly what had to happen. The door opened and Tanya walked out. It was hard to tell how she felt about her audition, but before Marvin could give it a second thought, he heard his name called out by the teacher. He shuffled in and close the door behind him, and the woman smiled. "Hello, Marvin. My name is Mrs. Stocking. If you're nervous, don't be! This'll go by much faster than you might think. Now, what made you decide to audition?"
      "I just wanted to try something new." Marvin replied.
      "Well I think this is a great choice. What song did you pick?"
"My Way."
"Oh! That's one of my favorites on the list." She grinned and sat at the piano. "Alrighty, I'm going to play the intro, and then you come in. Oh, and you just have to sing the first verse, okay?" Marvin nodded. "Great!"
She began playing and Marvin's hands began to shake slightly. He glanced around and breathed slowly. Mrs. Stocking gave him a reassuring smile, and Marvin nodded. She played the last few chords, and he opened his mouth.
     He could barely tell if the words were coming out of his mouth, but he kept pushing through. The teacher kept playing the song, so Marvin assumed he was doing alright. Of course, he was able to hear his own voice and the piano, but he couldn't focus. After a few moments, he could tell that the music had stopped, and he looked over to Mrs. Stocking. She was smiling at him, surprisingly, and Marvin felt the shaking slowly fade away.
      "Nicely done, Marvin! You have a very strong voice. The results will be posted outside the room on Wednesday. You're all set." He nodded to her and walked out to the parking lot to find Whizzer's car. Marvin tapped on the window, and Whizzer quickly unlocked the door.
      "Did you get in?" he asked before Marvin had even completely sat down.
      "We don't find out 'til Wednesday, Whiz'." he replied.
      "Well do you think you'll get in?"
      "Maybe! I don't know. I hope so." Whizzer smiled at him and squeezed his thigh.
      "I hope so too. It'd be a shame to let all that talent go to waste." Marvin turned pink as Whizzer drove.
      "I'm kind of...proud of myself I guess. I mean, even if I don't get in, at least I gave it a shot." Whizzer looked over at him and grinned.
      "I'm proud of you too! And you will get in."
      "I appreciate the optimism, but you should keep your eyes on the road." he chuckled. Whizzer scoffed and rolled his eyes.
      "Geez, okay Dad." Marvin glared at him playfully.
"Safe driving isn't a joke Whizzer. It's really important-"
"Quit boring me. It'll make me fall asleep and then we'll really crash." Whizzer smirked.
Marvin shook his head and laughed.
"Fine. But seriously, be safe."
"It's not my fault you're so distracting." Marvin's face became even redder as he tried to come back with an equally witty remark, but he ultimately failed.
"Just drive, Whiz'." he replied, trying to ignore the growing heat on his cheeks.
"I'm just saying, you're the one who's gonna stop traffic." he quipped.
"We weren't even talking about traffic!" said Marvin, slightly exasperated.
"It's a driving pun! Deal with it."
"You're such a dork."
"Don't you know it." Whizzer snickered.

893 words

A.N.// oof will I ever update regularly again? maybe?? I want to. anyway this was kinda shitty, but I have a lot of stuff planned for these boys and hopefully y'all will like it :)