New Hampshire

-"I only want to love a man who can love me."

Spending time with his close friends helped Marvin feel much better, but they're advice, while quite good, wasn't really working for him.
"Well you know you're the one who's made the mistakes." Charlotte started.
"Obviously."
"Then maybe, tell him that? I mean, maybe it could work. If he knows that you've realized you're wrong, maybe he'll realize you can grow as a person."
"He tried to help me grow as a person, and that's what got me into this whole mess." Charlotte and Cordelia exchanged glances. "I'm not saying it's his fault, I just, I don't even know. He meant well, but everyone else sort of collectively made it all worse." Marvin sighed. "And I can't really talk to him. I told him to just leave and that I didn't ever want to speak to him, and I'm going to seem stupid if I just come crawling back to him."
"You could give it some time?" Cordelia suggested . "Let things cool down a bit, and then you can try to get back in the same page."
"Yeah sure, except I don't think I could ever confront him again, and he sure as hell won't."
"Just find a reason to speak with him once you've both had time to think." Charlotte smiled. "Let's go watch a movie, and you can come up with a plan." Marvin nodded, but he had no desire to see Whizzer any time soon.

     Almost two weeks had passed, and Marvin hadn't done anything to help his case.  Many people had forgotten about Halloween and were ready for Christmas, even though Thanksgiving was in a couple of days. Marvin could barely remember Halloween, which he had just spent at Whizzer's house watching movies, and he wasn't even celebrating Christmas, so there was just Hanukkah to be excited about. At the moment, he'd have to deal with Trina, until he realized something. There was one thing he could do so that his plan could perform smoothly.
     "Hey Marvin! How are you?" she asked, sitting down next to him.
     "I'm feeling much better." he said cheerfully, but there was no smile on his face.
     "Well I'm glad to hear that." She began eating before looking up at Marvin, who was staring at her. "Something wrong?"
     "Uh, no. I just wanted to tell you something." Marvin mumbled.
     "Okay."
     "I know we haven't been dating very long, and I already feel bad about waiting to tell you, so I think now is a good time." He tugged at his shirt collar, already sweating with anticipation.
     "What is it?"
     "I'm really sorry, but I don't want to be with you." he said, staring at the table.
     "You don't?" she asked. She wasn't even angry, just hurt, which made Marvin feel worse.
     "I don't. Again, I'm so sorry for waiting. I'm sure it would've been better if I told you sooner."
     "Sooner? But we've barely been dating. Did you ever want to be with me in the first place?"
     "Not really. I feel terrible, I do."
     "Then why did you ever get my hopes up in the first place? That's really cruel Marvin." Trina sniffed quietly, breaking Marvin's heart a little.
     "Please don't get upset. I really needed someone to be with me."
     "Why?"
     "Because," Marvin's voice cracked, and he lowered it down to barely a whisper. "I'm gay Trina, and someone outed me, and I couldn't deal with all the hatred I was getting because of it."
     "Oh." She stared at him, before nodding slowly. "I'm sorry people gave you a hard time."
     "It's alright now. Everyone's forgotten about it since.." Marvin trailed off.
     "Since you started 'dating' me." Trina frowned.
     "Yeah. I didn't know you felt that way about me. If I had known, I never would've put you through this."
     "It's fine Marvin. I'll try my best to see past this." She gave him a small smile, before resuming her meal.
     "Thank you for being so understanding." said Marvin.
     "I've seen this before. Before I moved here 3 years ago, I had a close friend get ridiculed because of his sexuality. He ended up going to live with his father up in New Hampshire."
     "Wow, that must've been rough for both of you."
     "It was. I felt terrible about it. I didn't realize there were still awful people here too."
     "Me either. Again, I'm very glad that you're okay with this."
     "Really, it's alright. Y'know, I had a crush on that kid before he told me he was gay. I felt a bit stupid honestly."
     "You're not stupid Trina. You like who you like. I hope we both didn't break your heart too badly." he joked.
     She put her hands over her chest. "Oh, woe is me! I shall never find a man who can love me as well." She stated dramatically, before they both burst into fits of laughter.
     "You'll find someone who loves you Trina."
     "You will too." She grinned. Marvin's smile faltered a bit.
     "I sure hope so."

831 words