Lockers

-"Love stinks."

T.W.// offensive language

Over the next few weeks, Marvin and Whizzer's relationship began to grow. They cared about each other more and more each day, and the two were seen almost everywhere together. Marvin had begun changing for the better because of it. He was much more open about his feelings and wasn't afraid of expressing his love.
"See, I never understood what bothered you in the first place." Whizzer said to him on their way to class. "Your friends there, they've been dating since freshman year and no one has ever done anything to them."
"I don't know how it all works, Whiz'. Besides, I already told you none of this is bothering me anymore. Don't you trust me?"
Whizzer sighed. "Of course you doof." He winked. "I'll see you later." He smiled as he turned to head into the classroom. Marvin shuffled into class and slumped into his desk. History class gave him a lot of time to think.
You're definitely not afraid anymore, right? I mean, Whizzer's right; Charlotte and Cordelia have been dating and they're okay. This isn't different. No one even cares about this stuff anymore. Marvin kept reassuring himself all throughout the period. He felt bad that he had somewhat lied to Whizzer, but he didn't want to worry him. Marvin was concerned, not scared. He knew one thing was certain: He loved Whizzer. He wasn't going to let anything change that. The bell rang out, and Marvin rushed out to get to his locker quickly. He noticed a small crowd up ahead. Once he reached the group he dropped his bag, staring in disbelief. His locker was defaced, the word "fag" spray painted across the front. A wrinkled paper was taped up, and against his better judgment, Marvin read it.
You can't come around flaunting this shit. Fuck off back to fairyland before we send you straight to hell.
His eyes stung as he ripped up the paper. Shoving it into his pocket, he pushed through the crowd to find something, anything. This is what he'd been dreading. He knew this would happen. Now because he and Whizzer-
Whizzer. Marvin realized. He wanted to find him, make sure he was alright, but something inside of him kept him rooted to the ground. A voice in the back of his mind told him he couldn't see Whizzer, that this will continue if he tried to see him. People were looking at him now, standing perfectly still in the middle of the hall, fighting back tears so he wouldn't embarrass himself more. Marvin hated the eyes on him, judging him. He needed to do something. He scanned the area, searching for anyone who could help him. Down the hall he spotted Trina. A plan formed in his mind briefly. He hated it. It was full of lies and it would hurt the person he cared about most. Then again, Marvin wasn't sure if he could care about Whizzer anymore. He needed to protect himself, whatever the cost. Marvin marched over to her, red in the face.
"Hey, are you alright?" she asked. Trina hadn't seen his locker. She didn't know anything. Marvin nodded, took a deep breath, and kissed her. He hated it so much, but if it would take the eyes off of him, it was worth it.
It backfired. More people were staring. Trina blinked at him, at a loss for words. Marvin's eyes darted around, landing back on her, to who his surprise, was almost smiling.
"I didn't know," she started, "I didn't know you felt like that Marvin." He stared at her. His plan had just gotten a whole lot worse. "I..I like you too." She smiled, waiting for him to reply.
     "Well that's," Marvin almost gagged, "that's really great. Would you, uh, wanna go catch a movie sometime?"
     "I think that'd be a lot of fun Marv'." Trina seemed so happy, which only made him feel worse. He couldn't keep looking at her, pretending to love her. He'd have to keep it up thought, at least for a little while. But Marvin hated the idea of it.
     "Excuse me," he said uncomfortably. He slid by her and crashed into the bathroom. Marvin stood over the sink, hands shaking a bit. Splashing some water into his face, he gazed at his reflection. It seemed uglier, frightened and sad.  Marvin didn't know what to do with himself. He couldn't stay in the bathroom forever, but he never wanted to leave. Gagging again, he forced himself into a stall, where he threw up. Marvin felt even worse. He'd had it all, everything he'd ever wanted, and he threw it away to protect himself from hate. He really didn't know what to do, other than cry. But Marvin couldn't let himself do that. He stayed in the stall for a few minutes to freshen up, before finally exiting and meeting up with Trina, who was oblivious once again, simply grinned when she saw him.
     "You're back! That's good. I wanted to ask you, can I tell people that we're officially dating?"
     "Sure." He replied gruffly. His heart stopped as he thought of Whizzer. Marvin knew there was no way he could look at him, let alone explain what he was even doing. He closed his eyes.
You have to leave him. It's for your own good.

890 words