Thanksgiving

- "He's a queen."

     Marvin already wanted the day to be over, and it was only 11:00 am. He'd spent the morning cleaning the house for all the relatives coming, and unfortunately, a few arrived early.
     "Marvin! It's been so long since the last time I saw you. What were you, 10?" His aunt gave him a very uncomfortable hug.
     "I believe I was 13, Aunt Jill." Marvin replied, forcing himself to smile.
     "Feels longer sweetie. So you're in high school now? How's that?"
     "It's alright. Ah shoot, I gotta set the table." He slipped past his aunt, desperate to spend a few extra minutes alone. Luckily, his aunt and her husband Pat were busy talking with his parents, and he made himself useful by peeling more vegetables. After a few more hours of avoiding his family and finishing up the housecleaning, rest of his relatives arrived. He was startled by a hand grasping his shoulder.
     "What're you doin' cooking? Leave that to your mother." his grandfather chuckled.
     "She's busy, Grandpa. I'm just trying to help out." He grunted before sitting down to wait in the dining room. Marvin rolled his eyes, and hoped the day would end as quickly as possible.
     A bit later, he sat with his family, passing around peas and listening to his father rant about politics. The only other person who looked slightly uncomfortable was his aunt, who quickly changed the subject.
     "So Marvin, do you know what you're going to do for college?"
     "I'm not sure. I think I'd like to major in Business, but I have no clue where I'd like to go." He tried to begin eating again, but his grandfather spoke up.
     "Well I'm glad it's not some artsy crap like your Uncle Keith decided to do."
     "How is Uncle Keith?" Marvin asked. He was one of the few relatives he was close to, and was disappointed that he didn't show up.
     "He's doin' just fine. Riley just started 5th grade this year."
     "Well that's nice."
     "How's Keith doing with raising Riley on his own?" his mother asked.
     "I dunno, Rachel. I do know that if he had just acted like a man instead of gettin' too emotional, maybe Olivia wouldn't have left." His grandfather scowled at the thought of his son without a "trophy wife" as he'd call it.
     "Garrett, I don't think that's why Olivia left him-" his mother started, but she was cut off.
     "Course it is! I'm lucky my other child isn't runnin' around actin' like a pansy and earned himself a respectable woman."
     "I'd still love Dan even if he-"
     "Rachel." Marvin's father finally spoke up, glaring at his wife. "Go grab the turkey from the kitchen; I think we'd all like some more."
     "Okay sweetie." his mother replied quietly. Marvin's father smirked before speaking again.
     "Great to have a wife who obeys you." he said. Though it was mostly too himself, Marvin felt as though it were almost directed at him, making him even more uncomfortable.
     "Aunt Jill, how was your trip to Aruba?" he asked, desperate for a topic that wouldn't end in another fight.
     "Oh it was amazing! Me and Pat had the greatest time there. We got to see some baby turtles on the beach." She smiled at her husband.
     "They were really cute, Marvin. So were the ladies." Pat said with a wink. Marvin nodded to himself. "You got a girlfriend Marvin?"
     "Uh, no. I don't." he mumbled.
     "Won't get one neither, bein' so quiet. Speak up boy!" his grandfather laughed.
     "Excuse me." Marvin muttered and he headed to the bathroom. He let himself breath for a few minutes. As long as he kept up enough of a conversation and stayed away from sensitive topics, everything should go smoothly. He sat back down to hear about his grandmother's favorite TV shows, which somehow angered his grandfather. Really, what doesn't anger him? Marvin thought.
     "I just don't understand why you're watching that queer woman, Cynthia!" Garrett yelled.
     "She's not queer, Gary, she's a lesbian! And her show is quite funny."
     "If she's a queer, how can she be funny? All she talks about it bein' queer, which doesn't make me laugh."
     "That's not all she talks about, Garrett." said Jill. "I watch the Ellen Show too, and I have to agree, it's hilarious."
     "It can't be that funny! You two are legitimately crazy!" Marvin sat awkwardly, wishing that his grandfather had never come at all. "She's crazy too, if she thinks she likes women!" He felt his face heat up. He wasn't crazy for liking men, he knew that. All of it was just making him more and more upset.
     "Garrett, if she wasn't gay, the show would almost be the same, because it's not all about gay shit." Jill sighed. "All that would change is that she'd talk about her husband instead of her wife."
     "I still can't believe queers can marry, it's disgusting!"
     "If people love each other, they should be able to marry!" Jill shouted back.
     "They're all sick if they think they love each other! I could never love a queer person! They're all repulsive!"
     "What about me?!" Marvin yelled, surprising even himself. Everyone at the table stared at him. "I'm gay. Am I repulsive?" He mumbled. He saw Garrett glaring at him.
     "You're what?" Marvin heard him spit out, but Garrett's mouth didn't move. It was his father, who's voice had taken the same angry tone as his grandfather's.
     "I'm gay, Dad." His mother was the only one who wasn't looking at him. She stared at her husband, a glint of fear in her eyes. He was almost too mad to speak.
     "Out." That was all he had managed to say.
     Marvin's mother tried to defend him. "Daniel, you can't just-"
     "I said out!" he barked. Marvin stood up abruptly, and his father did the same.
     "You're making me leave?" His voice cracked.
     "I will not have a queer in my house." He stormed out, but soon returned with Marvin's jacket and phone. "Now go." No one protested, so Marvin grabbed his things and walked out the door. He had no idea where to go. Tears stung his eyes, and he quickly wiped them away out of habit. He couldn't get to Charlotte or Cordelia's without a car, and he didn't want to see Trina. The only other place he could think of was Whizzer's. Marvin remembered the way from Halloween. It was a bit far, but he was pretty sure he could make it.

40 minutes later he spotted his house up the road. Even with his jacket, he was pretty cold in the late November air. He rushed up to the door and knocked. A few moments later, Whizzer opened the door, surprised.
"Marvin? What the hell are you doing here?" he asked. He seemed confused, not angry. Marvin was about to answer, before he caved and collapsed into Whizzer's arms. He could barley speak through his crying, so Whizzer brought him into the warmth of the house, trying his best to comfort him.

1176 words