Coffee Shop

- "But I love him."

"One small coffee. Black." Marvin sipped his drink at a small table, a bit annoyed that his friends were late once again. Drumming his fingers on the wood surface, he watched each person as they walked into the coffee shop. A small group of sophomores with books, a senior who looked like he was going to pass out, and a junior who Marvin knew. Her name was Trina, and she was in most of his classes, but they weren't very close. She waved at him, though, before getting in line. Marvin waved back, and continued waiting. After what felt like an eternity he heard a familiar voice.
     "I already told you, hon', we can go to the movies on Friday." Charlotte said to her girlfriend, who pretended to pout.
     "Fine. But I'm only here because-Marvin! There you are!" Cordelia smiled and sat beside him while Charlotte went up to order their drinks. "How's it going?"
     "Good, good. I see that your date plans aren't working out again?"
     "Oh, Charlotte's just busy this week with extra credit assignments. She insists that she needs the extra boost, even though she's at the top of her class." Cordelia said with a sigh. "I just don't understand why she's pushing herself so much."
     "I don't know Cordelia. I don't exactly have much experience with relationships, so I'm not sure what you should do." Marvin knew he wasn't exactly helpful, but he tried to sympathize with her as Charlotte returned.
     "You wanted two sugars, right Cordel- wait a sec'." She looked at Marvin, judging his nervous expression, before cocking her head. "You got something you want to talk about, Marv'?" Marvin looked down at his coffee, which was almost empty at this point.
     "I, um, no. No, if I had something to say, I'd say it." He said, hoping he sounded convincing. Charlotte pursed her lips and continued interrogating him.
     "Are you sure? You look a bit, nervous, scared even. There's absolutely nothing you want to talk about?" Charlotte smirked; she knew he was about to crack. Marvin looked at the two girls and at the other people in the coffee shop, before deciding it was a safe place to talk.
     "Oh alright. I..I don't exactly know how to tell you guys," Marvin said as he fidgeted with his collar, "but uh, I think I might, maybe, like someone?" Cordelia gasped loudly, causing a bit of attention.
     "You do?!" She practically screamed. "Wow Marvin, I had no idea you even had feelings!" He grunted as she giggled. "But really Marv', that's exciting! Who is he?" Marvin glared at her, a bit surprised at how loud she was being; she knew he hated making a scene.
     "His name's Whizzer. Whizzer Brown. He's on the yearbook committee." Marvin said, and Charlotte grinned slyly.
     "Whizzer Brown? I believe he's in my English class. I could...talk to him for you?" She had barely finished her sentence before Marvin started shaking his head violently.
     "No! Please don't. I barely even know him Charlotte, and I don't want to ruin anything. I really," Marvin blushed a bit as he thought of what he was going to say, "I really like him. A lot, actually. He seems really nice."
     "Seems a bit cocky in class, honestly." Charlotte teased, watching Marvin's face turn redder, with either embarrassment or anger.
     "He wasn't cocky when I talked to him. He was very kind. Funny, too." He insisted. Charlotte and Cordelia shared a smile, as Marvin got up to throw away his empty cup.
     "Anything else happen?" Cordelia gushed.
     "Well, he took a photo for the yearbook. Of just me." Marvin felt his cheeks grow hot once again as he recalled what else happened. "He also touched my face. I know it's stupid but.."
     "He touched you?! On your face?! Ooh, Marvin! Did he hit you or something?" Cordelia exclaimed, eager to learn more about the encounter.
     "What? No! It was gentle. He was just turning my head for the photo." Marvin's voice grew quiet, too embarrassed to speak about it anymore. Apparently, Cordelia couldn't see that the discussion was over.
     "'He was just turning my head for the photo.'" She mocked. "Oh come on Marvin, he must like you! You can move your head yourself, but no, Mr.Brown decided that you needed a bit of assistance." Cordelia giggled as Marvin groaned.
     "How would you know if he likes me?" Marvin snapped. "I don't even know if he's," Marvin grew quiet once more, and looked up at his friends.
     "That's okay, Marvin." Charlotte soothed. "If it makes you feel any better, I get a bit of a vibe from him." She winked, and Marvin smiled weakly.
     "I really just don't want to ruin things with him." Marvin mumbled. "He was really sweet and polite, and I just, I don't know. He's just, great."
     "Look at you Marvin, you ol' sap!" Cordelia snickered. "Want to come to my place with Charlotte? We're making brownies!"
     "Fine, just as long as you don't tease me about this." The trio walked out of the shop, and Marvin hoped that they might be able to help him work up the courage to talk to him again.

868 words