Unexpected

- "Would it be possible to see you or to kiss you or to give you a call?"

Are you going to reply or not? Marvin thought to himself as he held his phone in his hand. Whizzer has sent him a text about a minute ago to confirm that he had the right number. You'll have to reply eventually. I mean, you want him to be able to talk to you, right? He sighed, before slowly typing a response.

Marvin: Yeah! It's me :)

Whizzer: Okay. Hi! I'll send you the photo now.

     The photo from the party was actually really cute.  Marvin was really happy with it, even if he looked strange in his dramatic costume. He quickly saved it before replying.

Marvin: Thanks! I really like it.

Whizzer: Well that's good. I wanted to ask you something.

     He felt his heart begin to pound.

Marvin: Sure. What is it?

Whizzer: There's a football game at the school Friday night. I'm supposed to be there to take photos. Someone else from the committee was supposed to come but they had to cancel. Wanna join me? Those games are usually pretty boring.

Marvin: Okay! Sounds like fun.

Whizzer: I can pick you up if you need me to. What's your address?

     Marvin quickly sent him a link and smiled. He couldn't wait until he got to see Whizzer again. Sure, maybe he'd literally just seen him two days ago at the party, but it felt like it had been months. Unfortunately, Marvin had the rest of the week before he would be able to spend time with him.

Thursday afternoon, he was greeted by a handsome and familiar face.
"Hey Marvin!" Whizzer grinned. "I meant to tell you, I'll pick you up around 4:00 tomorrow, alright?"
"That works for me." said Marvin as his closest, (and nosiest), friends came up behind him.
"What's that all about?" asked Charlotte with a smirk.
"Oh, it's nothing." replied Marvin as the three sat down for lunch.
"Didn't seem like nothing to me." teased Cordelia. Marvin grunted.
"Fine. He asked me to go with him to the football game tomorrow because some other committee member bailed."
"So it's not a date?" she asked with mock disappointment.
"What? No." Marvin laughed. "We're friends. Just because I like him doesn't mean anything's gonna happen."
"You're right." Charlotte nodded. "Nothing will happen if you don't try to change it. Even if you really want it to."
"Well considering poor Marv' here can barely speak a sentence around him, I'm not expecting much of a change any time soon." Cordelia added.
"Hey, I've gotten better about the whole speaking thing." Marvin said defensively.
"But you can't speak your mind." Charlotte reminded him.

Marvin had been staring into the mirror for an impressive amount of time. Normally, he couldn't care less what he wore, but he had his reasons for spending so much time make decisions. His phone buzzed on the table.

Whizzer: I'm here!

He smiled and practically skipped outside to find a flashy car in his driveway.
"Is this yours?" Marvin asked as he hopped into the passenger seat.
"My dad's. He let me borrow it." replied Whizzer. He pulled out onto the street and began playing music from some old CD.
"Looks like it might rain." said Marvin. "Is your camera gonna work?"
"It's waterproof, fortunately." he answered before singing along to the chorus of an Elvis song. Marvin laughed at Whizzer's terrible imitation of the singer, which was obviously cute. After just a few short minutes of driving, they reached the field. Marvin noticed Whizzer watching him as he stepped out of the car. "You didn't bring a jacket?"
"Oh. No. I'll be okay." Marvin replied.
"No you won't. Just take mine." said Whizzer with a smile as he handed Marvin his sweater. The two grabbed a seat on the bleachers just before the game started. Marvin realized that Whizzer had been right; the game was extremely boring. He noticed Whizzer try to snap a few quick photos. About a half hour had passed when the sky opened up and it began to pour. Marvin began shivering, even with the sweater, and Whizzer noticed. "Come on. We can go under there." He pointed over to another set of bleachers they could stand under. They quickly ran over for cover, almost slipping on the wet grass. Marvin looked at Whizzer as he kept taking pictures. He knew Charlotte was right. Nothing would change if he didn't try.
     "Hey Whizzer?"
     He looked over at him. "What is it? You still cold?"
     "No, I'm alright. I just wanted..I wanted to ask you something." Marvin stammered nervously.
     Whizzer cocked his head and strolled over. "Okay. Shoot."
      "I was wondering, would you maybe wanna go out sometime? For dinner, or a movie, or something?" he asked.
     "What do you mean? Like, a date?" Whizzer questioned, stepping a bit closer.
     "Um, yes. If you want. It's fine if you don't want to, I mean I just thought I'd ask because nothing was gonna change if-" Marvin was interrupted and pleasantly surprised by the last thing he expected. Whizzer had grabbed his waist and pulled Marvin into the most sudden and spectacular kiss. While it was a bit shocking, he was beside himself with glee. After a few moments they just stared at each other, unsure of what to say.
"So," said Marvin awkwardly, "that's a yes, right?"
Whizzer laughed. "Yes. I thought I'd made myself pretty clear."
"Maybe you should tell me again, just to be sure." Marvin smirked.
"You wish." he replied with a wink.

919 words