An Invitaion

- "When he smiles that smile, avoid him, or else sound the alert."

A week had passed since Marvin's first encounter with Whizzer Brown and he still hasn't spoken to him since. He seemed to be everywhere, which was strange, because Marvin couldn't recall a time where he had seen him before that practice session. It wasn't that he was avoiding him, it was just that Marvin was hopelessly clueless when it came to boys. To keep himself from ruining the only impression Whizzer had of him, Marvin simply refused to interact with him. Fine, he thought while scribbling notes in his History class, maybe I am avoiding him. But not on purpose! He frowned. Of course Marvin wanted to talk to him again, but what would he say? He couldn't find one reason to have a conversation with this kid.
After class, Marvin's train of thought was interrupted by a tap on his shoulder. Turning away from his locker, he saw Trina, which was a bit strange.
"Um, hello?" he said uncomfortably. Trina had never really spoken to him, despite the fact that they were seen pretty much everywhere together.
"Hi Marvin! I was wondering if I could talk to you, just for a second." Marvin was skeptical, but he nodded his head. "Okay, cool. So, I'm having a party. A Halloween party. It's on Saturday and I wanted to know if you'd like to come?"
"A Halloween party? Trina, I don't know if you've noticed, but it's only October 2nd, and Halloween isn't until the end of the month." Marvin pointed out. Trina laughed and shook her head, as if what he said was the silliest thing she'd ever heard.
"Marvin, it's the month of Halloween. I'm sure you'll have fun." Trina pursed her lips as she waited for him to reply, but he was still unsure.
"Who else is coming?" he asked. The last thing he wanted was to be alone at some random girl's party.
"Well, I think it would be cool to have a lot of different people there. I only invited a few other people besides you, and they're all bringing friends, so you should too! That way, no one will feel awkward, y'know?" She laughed a lot more after that, and Marvin really just wanted her to leave.
"I'll try and be there." he said, pretending to grin. She grinned back, oblivious, and she walked away. Marvin made a mental note to talk to Charlotte and Cordelia about it later, when something went off in the back of his mind. He could bring anyone, so why not ask Whizzer? There were a million reasons that should've kept Marvin from asking him, the most prominent one being that they barely knew each other, but Marvin found himself walking the hall, searching for him. After a little while he found him standing by the water fountain. Crap crap crap. This is a bad idea Marvin. Stop. Stop now! Marvin's feet were glued to the floor as he stared at Whizzer. He knew what he was doing was stupid, and slowly he turned away.
"Marvin!"
He spun around quickly to see Whizzer waving him over. His heart immediately jumped to his throat and his palms began to sweat. "Hey! Uh, what's up Whizzer?" Marvin asked, walking back over to him.
"Not much. But I wanted to ask you something."
"Oh, sure! Sure. What is it?" Marvin felt like an idiot standing there. Why was he ready to melt into a puddle just because he was looking at Whizzer? Why couldn't he just speak normally? Why did he have to be so nervous around him?
"Do you know that girl Trina? From student council? She's having a party this weekend. Do you, maybe want to come with me?" He flashed a smile and Marvin's heart began beating about ten times faster.
"You want me to come?" he asked.
"Yeah! Believe it or not, I don't share a lot of friends with her. Actually, I barely know her at all. But she said I could bring people, so I thought I'd ask you. It'll be fun! Hopefully." Marvin felt like he must've been dreaming. This must be some sort of joke.
"I, well, um, yeah! I'd love to go. And, you do realize that you barley know me either, right?"
"I guess that's true, but it'll give us a chance to get to know each other." Whizzer winked. "Oh, it's a Halloween party, by the way. So wear a costume." He glanced at his watch. "Ah, shit. Gotta get to Algebra. I'll see you there then?"
"Sure! I'll be there!" Marvin watched him leave. He didn't even care that he was going to be late to Art. He wanted me to come with him? Me! That's crazy. That's so incredibly crazy. Marvin laughed to himself a bit as he quickly walked down the hall. Does he, like me? No no no, he can't. I mean, Trina invited me, but she doesn't like me, right? Oh who cares, he wants me to go to a party with him! A Halloween party- Marvin stopped to take in what had just happened.
     Geez, Marvin. How lucky can you get?

859 words

A.N.// yes I know it's July and yes I'm going to write about Halloween anyway