Rehearse

- "Will you be my valentine?"

"Wait! Don't tell me..." Marvin stood awkwardly as Mendel scratched his head, before snapping abruptly. "Marvin! 'Delia's friend, right?"
He nodded. "Yeah. Um, I didn't know you were in the choir." Mendel chuckled.
"My friends dragged me into it, but it's really fun! I've done musicals for the school before, so this wasn't too far out of my comfort zone. You, on the other hand, surprised me."
"Surprised you?"
"You just didn't seem like the kind of person who would want to be a part of the choir, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it," Mendel smiled.
"Oh! Well, it wasn't really my idea to join in the first place," he laughed.
"Whatever then, right? I mean, you're here, aren't you?"
"I guess."
"You guess? Gosh Marvin, you may be the most confusing kid I know." He saw the slightly puzzled look on Marvin's, and he quickly explained his phrasing. "Y'know, sometimes the stuff you say doesn't make a lot of sense? I don't really know, that was a weird thing to say."
"Yeah," Marvin replied, a bit embarrassed. "Anyway, I know I don't know you very well, but, I was wondering if you could do a favor for me?"
"Sure! Any friend of 'Delia's is a friend of mine. What do you need?"
"Well, I wanted to do something for Valentines Day, and I need some other people to help me out. Preferably people who can sing." Mendel raised his eyebrows.
"Interesting. What's the gift?"
"My boyfriend likes my singing, so I wanted to put on a small show, or sing his favorite songs, or something like that." He shrugged. "I would need around 3 other people to sing, because most of the songs were sung by quartets."
"That sounds adorable! I'd love to. I don't have too many friends in choir, or at all, but that's no surprise, I'm sure." Mendel chuckled while Marvin forced a smile. "I do know two girls who could do it. Caroline and Diane."
"Sounds good," he smiled. "I'm planning to do this on Valentines Day. Do you have plans that day?"
"Me?! Oh my gosh Marvin, no! I mean, it's not like I didn't have the chance. I just never take action and I always regret it." Marvin nodded along with him.
"Well, you don't have to ask someone out on Valentines Day-"
"And I always end up doing nothing every single year. But I guess this year, I get to help you out, which honestly? That sounds pretty great. Thanks for that, Marvin."
"No problem, Mendel."

      After just a few days of learning songs and rehearsing together, Marvin felt as if this little group was going to be perfect. There were a few spots where they were a bit rocky, but just a bit of practice would smoothen things out. The only real problem at the moment was their current song.
      "Come on, you guys," said Marvin, trying not to get too annoyed, "this song's the most important."
      "Relax, Marvin." Diane rolled her eyes. "It's just hard to sightread. We'll get it eventually."
      "'Eventually' isn't gonna help us," he sighed. "Valentines Day is in two days, and I just want this to be perfect."
      "Look, Marv', it's alright," Mendel explained. "The key is a little difficult, but you've got to understand, it's all going to work out. I know how much you care about this, so promise me you'll keep working, okay bud'?" Though Marvin wasn't completely on board with being called "bud", he nodded. "Great! Let's get back to work." He couldn't help but roll his eyes at Mendel. He knew he meant well, but he seemed to act a bit superior, in his opinion, anyway. Marvin supposed that it helped to have someone to keep everyone in line.
      "Okay then," he started, "let's start again from the top. 'A Teenager In Love'."

642 words

A.N.// oof hello y'all. I haven't updated this in like 3 months??? whoops. writers block is a bitch sometimes :/ but I plan on finishing this story in a few more chapters, but I have more ideas that I'm kind of excited about. as always, love y'all sm💖