Milkshakes

- "The date was set."

     Marvin didn't even know how it happened, yet here he was, waiting outside the restaurant for Whizzer to finally make his grand entrance. He checked his watch again. Technically, his date wasn't late at all. Marvin had just insisted that he'd get there early to put in a name, even though he knew this place was never crowded.
After a few more minutes of waiting, he felt a tap on his shoulder.
     "Jeez, Marv', how early did you get here?" laughed Whizzer.
     "About 20 minutes ago." he replied.
     "Sorry I kept you waiting. This place is adorable." he smiled as he looked at the old diner.
     "I thought you'd like it. Best part is they've got a jukebox, so you can play any of that old music you love."
     "Oh, you're too sweet. Let's get inside, or I'm gonna freeze to death out here."
     "We wouldn't want that." chuckled Marvin as they stepped into the warmth of the building. Before heading to their seats, Whizzer insisted they try and find his favorite song on the jukebox. After a few short minutes of searching the pair sat down at their booth listening to the catchy tune.
"What do you want?" Whizzer asked, scanning the menu.
"Honestly, I have no idea. The milkshakes look good, though." he replied.
"Oh gosh. Forget dinner, those look amazing. I'd kill for one of them." said Whizzer in awe.
"Well that won't be necessary." smiled Marvin. "Oh, could you order? Whenever I try to, my voice gets all quiet and the waiters can never hear me."
"That's fine. But you're paying." Whizzer joked as the waitress came over. "We'd just like a large vanilla milkshake, please." Marvin looked over to him, confused, as she took their menus. "Thank you!"
"You really don't want dinner?" he asked. Whizzer nodded. "Okay, but why just the one drink?"
"We'll share." he winked. "And it's cheaper."
     Marvin grinned, and they waited, a calming silence falling over them. He wasn't entirely calm, though. Something had been bugging him, a question he'd wanted to ask since they arrived here together.
"Why did you say yes?" Marvin asked abruptly. "I just don't understand why you'd want..this."
Whizzer sighed, and almost laughed. "Because I like you. A lot, actually."
"But it all seemed so sudden. I really like you too, and I have for a little while now, and now I'm somehow already here on a date with you." Marvin explained, and Whizzer chuckled.
"Sudden? God, I didn't know I was that bad at flirting with you."
      "Flirting?"
      "C'mon, you didn't think I was talking with you and being such a idiot because I wanted us to be bros, did you?"
      Marvin shrugged. "I dunno, I just thought you were being friendly. If you haven't noticed, I don't have much experience with the whole 'flirting' thing, let alone relationships."
"Seriously? I took photos of you, invited you to a party as my own personal guest and to a football game, and we came out to each other. Plus, a lot of other little compliments and comments." He smiled. "And as for this relationship, so far, I'm loving it."
"You're a dork, you know that?" Marvin smirked as the waitress returned with their milkshake and two straws. Whizzer just smiled as he sipped the drink.
"Oh God, these are so good. Try it!" Whizzer gushed, sticking in the second straw. Marvin simply grinned as he drank. The pair gazed at each other, blissfully ignoring the rest of the world.
     "God you're pretty." said Marvin absentmindedly. The boy snorted, before giving him a quick peck on the lips.
     "Don't you know it." Whizzer snickered, and Marvin stared down at the table. "This is honestly probably the best time I've had in a while. Being here," he smiled, "with you, is almost exhilarating."
    "I am, of course, very happy you feel that way. For me, it's more like I'm trying not to throw up while constantly wondering how I got this lucky." Marvin laughed. "So, uh, are you finished?" he asked, gesturing to the glass.
"I suppose, but I don't want to be finished." Whizzer pouted jokingly.
"Ah, yes, it was a great milkshake-"
"Not the milkshake, you dummy. I don't want this to be over." He reached over and took Marvin's hand.
"It's not like we're never gonna see each other again. If you want, you can come with me to the school play. My friend Cordelia's in it, and I think it would be fun." Marvin suggested.
"Already planning a second date?" Whizzer joked.
"Well, I mean, I guess. Are we, like, a 'thing' then?" He asked.
"We are most certainly a 'thing'." Whizzer teased. "Also, I wasn't kidding earlier. You're paying."
"You're being cheap?" Marvin laughed.
"No. I conveniently forgot my wallet." He rolled his eyes and grinned. "You're not mad, right?"
"How could I be mad at you?"

816 words

A.N.// sorry this took so long I was on writers block and then the entire chapter was deleted :(