New Me

- "You can sing a different song."

A.N.// 100 votes??! that's actually kind of insane. thank you guys so much💕💕

     "Please Dad! I promise to pay you back and we'll stay safe from strangers and I'll-"
     "Look." Whizzer's father shook his head. "I already told you I'll think about it. It's not like it's just you. You want to take Marvin, too."
     "Yeah, and his friends will be there with their parents! We'll be perfectly fine."
     "I really dunno, Whiz'. It's in Time Square, and you'll have to take the subway, and-"
     "I've taken to subway loads of times! Seriously, every other student will be there for New Year's and I think it would be fun!"
     Marvin sighed. He had heard this argument at least three times within the last week. Honestly, he couldn't care less about what they did for New Year's Eve, but Whizzer apparently had his heart set on watching the ball drop in Time Square. Charlotte and Cordelia were already going with, alone with Cordelia's mother, so they wouldn't be entirely alone.
     "I'm sixteen now, so's Marvin. We'll be okay!" Whizzer pleaded.
      "Fine! Fine. I'll put money on my card and you two can meet up with your friends, but you better text me at least once every hour, alright?"
     "Yes! Yes, thank you! Oh my gosh this is gonna be great." He turned to look at Marvin, who had pretty much zoned out at that point. He smiled slightly and nodded.
     "Fantastic. Can't wait."
     Whizzer grunted. "You could try being a bit more enthusiastic."
     "Not my thing."
     "Well at least text the girls so we can meet up."
     "Sure thing, boss." he replied sarcastically.

     The subway was cold and crowded, two of Marvin's least favorite things. Not to mention it reeked.
     "You'd think with so many people in here it might be slightly warmer." he said to Whizzer.
     "You cold?" He smirked.
     "You aren't? It's, like, frigid in here. Seriously."
     "Poor you." Whizzer frowned playfully before wrapping his arm around him tightly.
     "Thank you." he whispered.
     "You owe me your jacket." he joked.
     After a very long 20 minutes they arrived to find Charlotte and Cordelia waiting.
     "I haven't seen you in ages Marvin!" Cordelia exclaimed as Charlotte hugged Whizzer.
    "I've..been busy."
    "Busy with what?"
    "I'll explain later. What time is it?"
    "About 10:30. C'mon, we can go find a spot." Cordelia rushed ahead and the others followed. It was even colder outside, but they didn't mind. Seeing the whole city lit up like this was definitely something to remember. Marvin grabbed Whizzer's hand as the met up at a small area with a perfect view of the ball. Cordelia's mom was already there, and the five of them wasted time sharing stories and jokes.
     "Okay, okay." Charlotte giggled. "I don't think I'm the only one who's interested in what's going on here." She gestured to Marvin and Whizzer. "What is it, are you together? Are you friends?"
     "It's kind of a long story." Marvin laughed nervously.
     "We've got about an hour." Cordelia pointed out. "Besides, I love long stories."
     "Alright then. It started back on Thanksgiving." He explained the whole situation, from staying with Whizzer to figuring out what they wanted to do with their relationship. Cordelia and Charlotte seemed shocked with every new detail, and were very engaged.
     "Basically, we're back together again." Whizzer smiled, and Cordelia hugged the two of them.
     "Oh I'm so happy for you two! Y'know, when Marvin started talking about you in September, I knew it was 'coup de foudre'." She sighed blissfully, and the others looked at her, confused.
     "Honey, what does that even mean?" her mother asked.
     "Oh, um, it's love at first sight. Learned it from dictionary.com." she replied. Whizzer shook his head and chuckled.
     "I'd have to say, that sounds about right." Marvin stared up at him.
     "Love at first sight? That's how you felt?"
     "I thought we already had this conversation. I was good at flirting, you were just bad at recognizing it."
      Marvin groaned. "Fair. I still can barley believe it though."
      "Well you better, because if you don't, who am I supposed to kiss at midnight?" he winked. Marvin just laughed, slightly flustered.
      "So kiddos, do you guys have resolutions yet?" Cordelia's mom asked.
     "I want to learn to take time for myself." said Charlotte. "Sometimes I feel like I overwork myself, and I think I just need time to relax and hang out with the people I love." Cordelia hugged her.
     "That's good to hear! I want to practice things more, mostly cooking. I enjoy doing it, but I'm not sure how much of it is actually edible." The group giggled, and Whizzer cleared his throat.
     "I want to be able to.." he sighed quietly, "I want to be able to trust people despite past experience. Basically I just need to remember that not everyone is the same, and that people can change." A bit embarrassed by the silence his answer had caused, he quickly changed the subject. "What about you, Marv'?"
     "I don't want to take shit from anyone anymore. I just want to be able to stand up for myself and have a bit more confidence."
     "Well you have two lovely friends by your side who will help you." Charlotte grinned.
     "And me!" Whizzer exclaimed, before checking his watch. "There's only about 10 minutes left. You guys ready to leave this year behind for good?" The bunch laughed and nodded. With just a few more minutes until the past 12 months we're behind them, Marvin found himself lost in his thoughts once again.
     New year, new me, huh? Hopefully I can make that work. Leaving this year behind doesn't sound all that bad. There were many things I'd like to forget about. Then again, there were lots of good things too, like- He looked over at Whizzer, who was staring up at the glowing buildings. Ah, yes. This year wasn't bad at all.
      "Only about a minute left you guys!" Cordelia's mother called.
One minute and it's all gone. A sort of fresh start. I'd like that. A lot. There's so many things I want to change, and now is the perfect time. Maybe I can be open at school again. Maybe I can try some new things. Maybe I could even talk to my parents again. But I don't want to change all of it obviously.
     "Ten!" The loud cry startled him from his thoughts. Ten seconds. Ten seconds and I can start this "new life".
     "Nine!" Marvin looked over at Whizzer. This year will be different. Good different.
     "Eight!" New, good things. I like the sound of that.
     "Seven!" It'll be amazing! He's amazing. God he really is-
     "Six!" What did I even do to deserve this? I don't even know what to say.
     "Five!" He grabbed his hand quickly. This year will be perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but we can try.
     "Four!" Who knows what we can do? There's so many things we can try together. Hey, maybe we could even-
     "Three!" Marvin blushed slightly, thinking of the possibilities. Three seconds. That's barely any time at all.
      "Two!" Y'know, a new year might be scary. It could be good, great even. Or it could be bad. But it'll be okay because-
      "One!" I have you. "Happy New Year!" He practically jumped into Whizzer's arms to kiss him. If that kiss was any sign of how this year would go, it was going to be pretty damn good.

1235 words