Found a Friend?

EDIT: This chapter (previously known as 'Elementary...My Old Days Were Better') has undergone major editing changes by the author. Enjoy the new version!

1/1/2024: Minor grammer changes. No changes to plot.

When Shihana had arrived, her mother had scolded her something fierce for running off like that. It was then that they entered the school grounds.

The school was not very big. In fact, for an elementary school, it was kind of small. The school itself only seemed to have a couple of classes but they still had some trouble finding their way. It took a while though before they found the front office.

All around them were dozens of small children running around. As Shihana looked around, she could that most of the children already had groups of their own, which made sense. As her yellow eyes scanned the court yard, her eye caught a mop of messy green hair. The owner of such hair seemed to be sitting alone under a tree, staring at another group of children. The scene reminded her of a blond whiskered boy as well, who was rejected for something that was completely out of his control. She turned when she felt her mother tug on her arm. With that signal, they entered the office, with Shihana clenching the back of her mother's jacket.

Behind the counter sat a elderly woman. She looked up when she noticed them. "How can I help you?" she asked her mother, Menma. Menma gently reached behind Shihana and pushed her in front of her for the last to see, with Shihana reluctantly clenching her tiny fists, and looked up with her large, yellow eyes. Inwardly, the elderly woman cooed at the adorable sight of the girl, but composed herself.

"Well, today is my daughter's first day of school. I was told to pick up her class number here in the office." Menma replied. Shihana felt her mother squeeze her shoulder, wrinkling her new school uniform.

The women nodded in understanding and smiled.  What is you daughter's name?" She asked, about to type it into the computer in front of her. Menma smiled down at her daughter.

"Her name is Kurohi, Shihana." Menma stated with pride in her voice, for daughter was her pride and joy. The women in front of them quickly typed in the name without looking up. After a few minutes, Shihana heard the printer beside the computer start up. The woman reached over and got the paper that had been printed. She then handed it over to her mother.

Menma took the paper. "Thank you" she nodded before looking down at Shihana. "What do we say, Shihana?" Shihana stared at her mother for a moment before forcing a crocked smile and faced the woman behind the counter, having to tiptoe to properly look at woman.

"Arigatou, miss" she thanked her as she gave something similar to a small bow. The women's cheeks flushed at the cuteness in response before going back to her work. Shihana stared at the woman in confusion but just then the bell rang, signaling the students to go to class. Shihana felt her stomach tumble a bit. First days of schools were always so nerve wrecking! And it did not escape her notice that as the other children ran to head to their respective classrooms, they gave her curious looks. Unconsciously, Shihana ducked her head a bit.

With the paper in hand, the pair left the office, hand in hand. It It did not take them too long to find the class, but by that time, all the halls were empty, meaning everyone was already settled in. Shihana gulped. That meant everyone would stare at her when she came in! She could hear all of the noise the kids were making. Menma knocked politely on the door. They waited silently, with Shihana dying inside.

The door opened to reveal a young woman with blue hair and green eyes, who smiled when she saw Shihana and her mother.

"Oh, are you must the new student we were expecting!" She exclaimed with a warm smile as she stared down at Shihana. Shihana could see that behind her back, the kids were staring with curious eyes. Dang it! Shihana nodded, looking her in the eyes of the woman in order to avoid having to look at the other children in the background.