three. sundowning and relics

Luna

"Stilinski said no, didn't he?" Malia asks.  Liam, Scott, and I are standing around her as she puts her books back into her locker.  She's talking about the lead Scott and Lydia found after speaking with Sheriff Stilinski about their family nickname 'Stiles'.  His father had went by that in the army and Scott is convinced that his father could help us figure out who we were missing.

"Yeah," Scott answers.

"But we're going anyway?" Malia figures.

Scott confirms, "Yep."

Malia shuts her locker and Liam offers her an ultimatum, "Or you could stay here and help me convince Gwen she's in danger."

"It's not your job to convince her," Scott says.  "It's your job to keep her safe."

"Just kidnap her," Malia tells him.  She walks away causing the rest of us to follow her.

"Do not kidnap her," Scott commands.  "We'll be back tonight after we talk to Stilinski's dad.  Luna, are you coming with us or helping Liam?"

I sigh, "Neither."

I haven't yet told them about my brother being back in town, but now was as good as any.

Liam abruptly stops and turns to me, causing the rest of them to as well.

"Wait, what?  You're not going to help me?"  There's a slight panic in his voice.  I pat his back.

"You can handle this, kid."

"Why aren't you coming with us?" Malia asks.  I glance around and look into their eyes.  I run my fingers through my hair.

I stumble with the right words, "Well, uh, the night when we figured out someone was missing from our memories, I came home and found something, well, someone."  They each give me a look.  "My brother's back."

Scott and Malia share a shocked look, and Liam appears to stumble back like the news had just slammed into him.

"Wait, Luna, that was a couple nights ago.  Why'd you wait so long to tell us?" Scott asks.

"Because I hoped he would've left by now.  He actually hasn't even told me why he's back."

"I want to meet him," Liam states, a flash of anger shooting through his eyes.

"Liam-" I start.

"I just want to talk....with my fists."

"No, Liam.  I can handle my big brother.  You need to focus on Gwen."

"Is that the reason why your truck hasn't been in the parking lot?" Malia asks.

I nod, "Yeah.  He hitchhiked all the way from Texas."

Malia pulls a look, "Why couldn't he just run?"

I shrug, "He's human."

There's a few seconds of silence as they take in the new information.

"When we get back and after we figure out what to do with Gwen, we should talk.  All of us," Scott says, and we all begin walking again.

"Do we really have to do this?" Malia asks.  "I mean shouldn't we help Luna with her brother."

"He's our only lead, and Luna said she can handle him," Scott reminds her.

"Okay," Liam interrupts, still worried about what he's going to do tonight.  "What if the Ghost Riders show up?"

We all stop again, but it's because we've reached the exit.

"Then you'll handle it, Liam," Scott tells him.  "And look you're not alone.  You've got Mason and Corey and Hayden.  Okay?  Just find a safe place for Gwen and keep her there."