eight. heartless

third person

LUNA WAKES UP EARLY the next morning feeling refreshed, having gotten the best night's sleep she's had in awhile.  She stretches her arms out above her and groans at the ache in her bones from sleeping on the couch.  Sitting up and throwing her legs off the couch, she hears a groan under her feet from whoever she kicked.  Her eyes blink to see who it is and finds Theo laying on the floor with her feet on his stomach.

"Sorry," she mumbles, lifting her feet off of him.  Instead, she places one in between his legs and prepares to launch herself up of the couch.  She pushes herself up and stumbles to land her other foot on the floor.  A foot kicks Theo's before landing, and she's able to get a straight shot to the bathroom upstairs.  After freshening up and doing her business, she comes back down the stairs to find everyone's still asleep.  Liam and Hayden in the chairs and Theo on the floor.  She didn't know who moved her from the table.

"Probably Liam or Scott," she thinks.  Her feet carry her into the kitchen and she checks the cupboards for something to eat.  She finds some pop tarts and sits down at the kitchen island with a glass of water.  Her mind wanders to the news of her sister, and she thinks of everything she could remember about her.  Luna can't even get through the first pop tart before she loses all her appetite.  She sniffles at the thought of really never seeing her little sister again and shoves her food away.

"What's wrong?" Theo's deep, morning voice asks from behind Luna.  She glances at him over her shoulder and rubs away the tears.

She grumbles, "Don't want to talk about it."

He passes behind her and says, "Okay, we don't have to."  He starts the coffee maker and a few minutes pass of silence.  "So, Charlie's back."

"Don't want to talk about that, either," she mentions.  She takes a sip of her water as Theo grabs a coffee mug from the cupboard, prepping his cup of coffee.  "But I do want to ask you about what you said last night."

He pours himself a cup of coffee before answering, "What part?  I said a lot of things."

"The thing you said when Malia was beating the shit out of you," she says.  "'It's okay, you don't have to stop.'"  He tries to say something, but she interrupts him.  "And don't give me some bullshit answer about how you deserved it for shooting her.  It was too familiar to me for that to be the reason."

He shakes his head and repeats what she'd said before, "Don't want to talk about it."

She nods, "Fair enough."

The silence that follows isn't as awkward as Luna thought it might.  It was actually quite comfortable and Luna was surprisingly okay with that.  However, in the back of her mind she thinks of everything she'd written in her journals about him.  She wonders what he would say if he ever read it.

The two of them stood on opposite sides of the kitchen island, quietly sipping at their drinks.  Luna had grabbed the newspaper and the occasional turning of the page interrupted the silence.  Although, the silence didn't last long as everyone else in the house began to stir.  Scott is the first person to enter the kitchen.  He glares at Theo before sending a sleepy smile at Luna.  Luna returns it instantly, grabbing at her discarded pop tart to finish.  After Scott makes his own cup of coffee, he takes a seat next to Luna.

"Can I have the sports section?" Scott mumbles.  Luna pulls the page out and hands it to him before turning to the crossword, grabbing the phone pen to fill it out.  Their arms touch subconsciously and neither of them pull away.  Theo notices almost right away and can't help the scowl on his face at the close proximity.  Luna whispers occasionally to Scott for help on a word, and Scott whispers his guess which usually turns out to be right.