five. radio silence

Luna

"THE CORPUS CALLOSUM IS not only the largest white matter structure in the brain, but also the bridge connecting all parts of the brain to each other," Mrs. Finch teaches at the front of class while standing in front of a diagram of the brain.  I'm sitting one row behind Scott and Lydia next to someone I don't speak to outside of this classroom.  "That ability for all parts of the brain to communicate, and to work together, help us make leaps in cognitive thinking.  Any questions, thoughts, insight, Lydia?"

Lydia had been leaning back as Mrs. Finch approached her desk.  Her eyes staring out the window to whatever was happening out there.  All I see is a tow truck loading up a blue Jeep.

"I completely agree," Lydia tells her.

Mrs. Finch points to the window, not even glancing out, asks her, "Is there something outside that's more fascinating than the structure of the human mind?"

"No," Lydia answers quickly.  "I don't think so.  No."

Mrs. Finch nods, "Okay, good.  Now, many people credit the corpus callosum, uh, for giving us a sense of intuition, gut instinct, even we ourselves aren't aware-"

"I'm sorry," Lydia interrupts, making me look up from my notes.  "I'll be right back."

Lydia grabs her bag and her heels click against the marble floors towards the exit of the room.  Scott only hesitates for a second before following after her.

His excuse to Mrs. Finch was, "I'm just gonna check if she's okay."  Then, he proceeded out of the room.

My feet move to follow them, but Mrs. Finch's words stop me.

"You guys know that classes aren't optional, right?"  Her eyes seem to find me and my cheeks flush a light pink as I shrug.

Later in the school day, when the days coming to an end, a high-pitched screeching noise that sounded like feedback sent me outside to stand in front of the blue Jeep I saw earlier.  Lydia stood next to me less than a minute later and Malia and Scott ran up to us not too long after.

Lydia tells them, "It's coming from inside."

Scott and Malia walk around to the driver's side door and stare inside.  I walk around to the passenger side door and peer inside also.  My eyes feast upon the radio inside in which was causing the static all of us were hearing.  Scott tried the door and finds that it's locked.

"Did somebody just lock the keys inside?" Malia asks.

I shake my head, "No, there aren't any keys anywhere."

"Break it," Lydia tells Scott.  The three of look to her and then Scott glances at Malia before breaking the lock to get inside.  Scott gets in the driver's side and reaches over the counsel to unlock the passenger side door.  I let him climb into the backseat before I follow him.  Lydia and Malia get into the front seats.  We let the radio go on as we search the rest of the car.  Lydia opens up the glove box to search through to see if she can find anything familiar or anything to point us in the right direction.  Suddenly, the radio stops.

Malia looks to Lydia and asks, "Why'd it stop?"

Lydia sighs, "It doesn't matter."  She switches the radio on and off.  "There has to be a reason."

Scott screws his eyes shut and shakes his head.

"What?" he whispers.

"What?" I ask.  Lydia stares at him.

She asks, "You caught a scent?"

"Yeah," he answers.  "Uh, ours.  Mine, yours, all four of ours."