four. relics

Luna

"TOO LATE? LATE FOR what?" Charlie's voice is stern as he tries to figure out what I'm telling him. Suddenly, the sky releases a flood down onto the rest of us and I can see Scott take off his helmet in the middle of the field. Corey runs up to Scott and I use my werewolf hearing to listen to him over the rain.

"They're here."

Scott looks around, finding Liam ahead of him and calls out his name.

Liam yells from next to Gwen, "I see 'em!"

He's looking in a certain direction and I know he's talking about the Ghost Riders. I turn to Charlie, focusing on him. He's giving me a strange look since I haven't given him a straight answer since I sat down. Lightning claps and I have less time to convince him to get out there.

"I need you to get out of here, Charlie. Something bad's gonna happen and I don't want you in the middle of it."

"What's going-"

"Charlie, seriously, did you forget what I am? I'll explain everything to you later, if you get out of here right now."

"Bu-"

"Now, Charlie!" I take off for the field, not bothering to make sure he leaves. Hoping against all hope I finally got to him. Within a few seconds I'm completely soaked to my core before I even reach Liam's side. He glances at me and double checks me.

"Luna, you shouldn't be out here," he says.

"You're going to need help and I'm the big guns," I reply.

"You're the big guns?" Gwen asks skeptically looking at my small frame.

I shrug, "Sometimes big things come in small packages."

All at once the lights bust out and there's almost no light on the field. The referee blows the whistle and calls the game while Scott, Liam, and Corey pull their gloves off. Everyone else starts to run off the field to the high school locker rooms.

Coach screams his displeasure from the sidelines, "Oh, come on, ref! This is barely a thunderstorm!"

No, it's more like people are going to get taken and you won't even remember them.

Liam pulls me and Gwen back to where Scott and Corey were standing guard of two boys. Gwen goes to stand next to them.

"Okay," Scott yells over the rain. "We've got all three, right?"

Liam looks at the three and says, "Scott, there were four."

I can hear a faint noise of screaming and sound of hooves galloping against the ground, but I see nothing. Scott has to grab Corey's arm to see what's going on. Everyone who can see are staring in the direction of the darkest side of the field.

Okafur yells from behind us, "Oh, my God! They're real! We gotta get out of here!"

Liam holds a hand out behind him and says, "Stay together. We'll protect you."

"How?" Gwen shouts. The sounds of hooves galloping and horses neighing became louder.

Scott yells, "Run!"

Liam grabs my arm to run in the other direction, but we stop almost immediately. The horses seems to be surrounding us, and I feel as though I'm right since the others are glancing all around them.

"Stay close!' Liam warns us.

From a distance away, I hear someone panting as they run away. They hit the side of the vehicle as they see whoever's chasing them catch up with them. The person almost gets away if it weren't for the gunshot bullet that shoots through him. The sound of it makes me freeze and focus my eyes in the distance as my mind takes me to another time I heard the gunshot.