36 | A Rose For You

The moonlight coming in through the kitchen window is the only source of light as I stealthily make my way down the stairs

The moonlight coming in through the kitchen window is the only source of light as I stealthily make my way down the stairs. I have to take my time so I don't wake my parents at this ungodly hour, no matter how urgent I am to make it out the front door. Yes, I'm sneaking out of home in the middle of the night. A relieved exhale is released through my nose when I make the landing before I almost immediately freeze in place for a few seconds to listen out, just in case. Before my mind can catch up, my legs spring into action and make a beeline for the front door. I pull the key from the lock and stuff it in my back pocket before quietly closing the door behind me.

The street is dimly lit up by the lampposts and the crickets chirping are the only source of noise. There is a slight chill in the air since Summer is starting to end and I am grateful for the decision to pull on a cardigan before leaving my room. While walking down the front path I spot the black Range Rover across the street with Harry leaning against the door. A smile breaks out across my face at the sight of him. Even in the darkness I can see him smirking at me, though it turns into a full blown genuine smile as I unashamedly rush towards him.

He pushes himself away from the car with a quiet laugh and successfully catches me when I jump, throwing my arms around his neck and locking my legs around his waist. His strong arms encase me in his warmth, holding me tightly to him around my back. It doesn't take us long to lean back enough to look at each other, simply taking in every detail of each other's faces before I waste no more time. I press my lips against his, surprising Harry for a split second before he returns the pressure and we melt into each other.

The last week has been one of the longest of my life. Since parting ways with Harry after he officially asked me to be his girlfriend, I was on cloud nine. It was difficult to leave him, of course, but I couldn't be happier to know that he would be coming straight home to me. No matter what time his flight landed, Harry promised he would make the drive straight to Holmes Chapel, insisting he couldn't wait any longer to see me.

As if the universe was testing our patience, his flight was delayed and he landed at Heathrow a lot later than expected. But here is, standing across the street from my parents' house at three in the morning. I was so excited to see him that I've barely slept either, but the lack of sleep has made this moment worth it.